Old School Catlins Cruise Saturday 5 May 2018

For this meet up, we are collaborating with newly-formed economysedan.co.ng to tour the beautiful Catlins Coast. As usual, this cruise will contain the "Four S's for Success": 
- Shit roads
- Shit views
- Shit cars
- Shit yarns

Here's a brief map of our tour, with stops in Curio Bay, Purakunui and Owaka for a late lunch, finishing at the Catlins Brewery in Kaka Point.
Meet at BP north Invercargill 9:45, and aim to leave there at 10. there's about 2 and half hours of driving and we will be making ample stops for hand shandys along the way. 

Doc1-1.thumb.jpg.2a91cdac883351a4cbded8d2de7f5780.jpg

The stops along the way are a brief guideline. At this stage the route is all sealed roads, so if anyone has any suggestions for lush picnic areas or unreal scenes then chuck em up in our discussion thread! 

This will go ahead rain hail or shine, so be prepared with a jacket and red bands if shit hits the fan. Bring some lunch as there won't be many places for food until about Owaka.

Here's some beautiful scenery shots to keep your heart racing!

yellow-eyed_1_orig.jpg

Catlins%20-%20Purakaunui%20Falls%20(1).j

Kaka-Point-181527.jpg

1478125677619.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a reply from Catlins brewery as follows,

Kerry

Norm is in Wellington with his family for a few days for school holidays, so I don’t want to bother him til he returns. I am not sure if he will be fine with this, as he may be tied up with shooting ducks, as you probably know that is opening weekend!! I will let him know of your request, and get back to you soon. As we don’t have a licence to sell alcohol from the brewery directly to the public there can only be samples! We do sell merchandise, though. If I was to host you it wouldn’t have the flair that Norm adds to a visit!!

Peter

Might have to make it another time perhaps. See what Norman says when he gets back. I had forgotten that they aren't licenced to sell retail directly from the brewery.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Awww great route. Done a bit of surfing thataways.

Daughters birthday unfortunately else would be there (if other commitments permit). Will see if things change, birthday could be held Sunday yet, then could take kids along...

would be grouse to have you on board there mayte. 

shame about the brewery. Pub it is. 

16 hours ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

So I've been informed it's not my daughter's birthday after all (Father of year award -  got the month right tho). :)

So may be able to make it, but will likely have kids tagging along. This is barring the modular wardrobe furniture turning up and me spending most of that weekend swearing at it...

push that admin back son, bring the fam and revel in tall tales of stationary motors with a bunch of internet weirdos... 

edit: long term forecast looks average for satdee. bring your best swandri and we'll place some red stamp gummies at the door of pub to fit in with locals etc

• Like 2

Might not make it to the run due to potentially killing beef. The butcher had planned to come last weekend but got called into his other job on Saturday and lost most of Sunday looking for his pig dogs. Still keen to join you all for drinks and sharns afterwards though.

On 4/27/2018 at 21:15, smokin'joe said:

forgot to mention to @Nick Ritchie when conversing via tellingbone earlier, if anyone who decides to make a night of it, and weather is good.......... bonfire beersies at my other place, failing that sharns around the coalrange and BYO for a night of it.

deeply apologetic.

sons business has had a supplier dump 2 years of raw material on him and he needs to keep this supplier.

busy as a sambo trying to find space for said product, as is now encroaching on my toybox...............  littlebig-ganglycunt !!

you guys do a quick recce and we will plan a proper camp-out/crashonjoescouch/gutterwreck session later in year when there is more daylight hours.

as i had mentioned to others earlier, a one-day mish is a bit short on time, and am sure after a recce, most will want to come back.