Old School Catlins Cruise Saturday 5 May 2018

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Catlins cruise

So after the massively staggered convoy regathered for refreshments at the Fortrose cafe, we headed to the Waipapa Pt lighthouse in Otara.
(Otara, wot?)...
3kuz3213.hix.jpg

Wrong Otara bro...  (file pic for reference)
bvm2m53b.mn1.jpg

Worst shipwreck in NZ was here in 1881, lighthouse built 1884. Should've taken pics of the trees that grow sideways.
Haven't really got any pics without the midgets in em...
igkw55pb.jat.jpg

Highlight was seeing the seal have a go at the asian tourists who got a bit of a 'fuck off' message...
ubzwolhb.vsi.jpg

Interesting bit of the country, some good roads for fangin, couple of 25km/h corners and a few boulders set the 'check engine' light off. Proper OS cars don't suffer such worrisomes. It went away, eventually...

Next was Curio Bay, massive earthworks/construction happening here, so picking another spot likely to be ruined by 'progress'. Old school camping ground and store are still hidden in the flax though, so there's hope...
e3zklgd3.fjx.jpg

The petrified forest bay was pretty interesting. Only ever really been here for surfing so first proper look at stone trees. There is a Toddy dressed in black in there somewhere...
1i54mmv3.ldc.jpg

Kids wanted to poke around rock pools and were very excited to find a starfish. I was wondering what you'd snare by chucking a line into some of the big channels...4gcx10jr.3lw.jpg

Waikawa was pretty interesting, sold an old Hartley boat to a geezer here and had a poke around but couldn't see it. The museum's worth a look but we were heading back by that stage...
vkhf1wti.1eo.jpg

n4cgjxov.rke.jpg

And wife away when got home so mate came round and we drunk cheap Russian beers and watched Dunkirk movie on loud. Recommend... :thumbleft:
pejodaie.yls.jpg

Oh, that's my shin - result of rock-hopping with kids (not cheap Russian beers, honest)  Don't recommend...
lp53wznl.nld.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

I was wondering what you'd snare by chucking a line into some of the big channels...

apoximately 3million years ago, when i was a young fella staying down there surfing, good blue cod were caught off the rock ledge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got to turn on notifications for this. Been mental busy lately and just forgot all about the cruise!!! Ended up over in Wanaka night before so went to Cars over Coffee breakfast thing out at the airport. Looks not as fun as the cruise ended up for you guys! Next time. 

Planning to check out Arrowtown garage car show this Saturday around 11 if anyone is about come along 

• Like 3