SOHC's Briggs & stratton creation.

SOHC

If you were worried about shearing off the bolts on ya rear wheels sprocket I'm chucking 18-20hp through same setup and its been sweet even with a bitey clutch that grabs at 2500rpm. 

Kind of like a bumble bee it shouldn't work but just does.

• Like 3

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Muncie said:

If you were worried about shearing off the bolts on ya rear wheels sprocket I'm chucking 18-20hp through same setup and its been sweet even with a bitey clutch that grabs at 2500rpm. 

Kind of like a bumble bee it shouldn't work but just does.

Thats nice to know, its super strong now, I spent hours making that rear wheel. what engine are you using?

21 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Longer you can make it the better mine does it's best to spin the scooter around the back wheel with me on it. 6-10hp is plenty on small wheels.

Dose that engine spin clockwise and what dia is the PTO shaft? 

I made my frame tall enough to fit most engines in there, the big Kohler fits in the rails.

Standing at the flywheel it spins clockwise.

It's a 1" shaft it does limit the size of sprocket you can get on the clutch I just run a 5/8 jack shaft to get the gearing where its happy.

It had gearing that in theory would of been good to 100mph reality was it threw me off at half that...... lesson learned don't tempt yourself gear it to 80kph tops that will give you plenty of tyre smoke.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just picked up today a Tecumseh 8 HP engine, I was bidding on it wile I was in Japan, its in mint condition, it came off an industrial vacuum, its like new, it will bolt right on to my mounting plate but I need to space the rear sprocket over a bit as the engine is a bit wider and I will need to cut and reweld my rear mudguard mount, I may not need to do anything if I use a gokart veroator drive thing.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/engines-motors/other/auction-1651226130.htm?rsqid=3176e9748e7142e393eefc3180413f0b

What do you think, should I get one or just use the clutch?

I ended up buying a 1" heavy duty clutch but I could only get it in a 14 tooth sprocket, I am going to make a jackshaft set up.

I will have 14 teeth on the front and 37 on the rear I am running a 420 chain and sprockets, wheels are about 10" tall, how do I work out what size the sprokets need to be on the jackshaft? 

I just found a sprocket calculator,  I reckon if I gear it for 30 MPH should be enough.

Engine RPM 3600

Engine clutch sprocket, 14t

Jackshaft input sprocket 14t

Jackshaft output sprocket 10t

Rear sprocket on wheel 37t

Tire height 10"

3.7:1

Dose that sound about right? or should I try to just find a bigger rear sproket?

It might slip the clutch . Its not super overkill I'd try it might be a bit doughy or clutch wont fully engage at normal speeds. They grab fully at around 2200rpm recalculate back to that and see how fast that would put you. Depending where you intend to ride it might be sweet.