SOHC's Briggs & stratton creation.

SOHC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Muncie said:

Yup only limited by the chain hitting the ground with small wheels.

What ratio do you have on your scooter? and what do the wheels measure from the ground to the top of the tire? 

At the moment its bad it tops out at 65 would only do 45 if it still had a governor. Its 16t to 17t thru a jackshaft to 13t with 42t on the rear 6.5 rim. Its made from leftovers of other projects its scary fast wheelstands when the clutch bites which also makes it shit to ride so is important to get it right.

I was going to gear mine to do around 28MPH, I just came up with a plan to make a jackshaft on an outrigger off the PTO side on the engine  

New clutch came today but I have sent it back as the bearing was rough as shit.

It hard to get anything I need in nz, I got a 11t and 17t sprockets to make the jackshaft, they are 420# I need to fit keyed bosses to them as they are front sprokets for a motorcycle, I could only find 3/8 tapperlock bosses, started to machine them down but found they are some kind of cast iron, I am unsure if I can weld them to the sprocket now, if its malleable iron I could. 

• Like 1

You may get away with welding? I've locked spider gears in differentials and welded the steel pins to the cast iron heads before.

Ideally you preheat...weld...then bring temperature down again slowly to prevent cracking.

Other way about it could be to grind a keyway in.

• Like 1

I have decided to just use a plane 5/8" shaft witch is just a sanded down 16mm bar and I will get some 25mm bar and make some plane bosses and weld the sprockets to them, I will drill and tap some 6mm bolts in a couple places and drill into the shaft to lock them to the shaft.

I found a company in auckland witch sold the sprockets I need ready to fit but after I saw the price they can shove them up there arse, I could seriously travel to another country on the money they wanted.       

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 08:05, Duke Blackwood said:

Hey Chief I've only just glanced over this thread but if you need help with sprockets I operate a waterjet cutting machine and can make custom sprockets... PM me if I can help.

Hello, thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind for the next project :)

I now now not to try to weld free machining steel, it dos not weld very well, I used a E6013 rod and did 2 passes, the smaller sprocket I bronze welded the other side just make sure its strong, Bored the holes, Need to thread the cross drilled holes for locking them to the shaft.

36223905_10156239901078819_1441467960286773248_n.jpg

• Like 2