Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

Just wanted to congratulate you on a great project and useful stuff you are sharing. Love the laconic style too :)

(bought a 1992 XJS 4.0 recently, so consuming all I can !

r's mike (Sydney)

Welcome to the forum. There can be some weird humour here because many of us know each other from the real world - 20 years of sporadic club events.

If you're likely to be doing much of your own maintenance on your Jag, you'll have picked up that I've found Kirby Palm's "Experience In A Book: Help For The Jaguar XJ-S Owner" (a.k.a. The Barry Bible) to be useful. It's a free PDF you can download online. @dmulally sent me a 1992 XJS electrical system PDF too. 

Be careful treating my build thread as 'useful stuff'.. I'm a dodgy and not-very-enthusiastic amateur, this is my first Jag and I've been finding things out the hard way. This thread is just a diary for entertainment purposes and should not be considered mechanical advice. ;) No doubt someone well versed in these cars would have a hit list of proactive replacements they would immediately perform on an under-maintained, high mileage XJS, and they wouldn't get stranded out of town, stumped by known issues etc the way I have been.

FYI we run a system on oldschool.co.nz where only the car owner posts in their build thread. This prevents discussions cluttering the threads. Each car has a corresponding discussion thread, and the discussion thread for my Jag is here:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move on the rear subframe mounts. I always get nervous about mine. When I put the 340s on the hoist I have a wood post jig/stand that I wedge under the rear suspension as I'm worried something will fall out. I'm not sure if it's even possible for it to fall out but it always bothered me just hanging there off the rubber mounts. 

• Like 1

Nicely done, wedging some torque into the impellor old chap. Nice bit of fettling, that.

Gosh I say, I don't mean to be impertinent, but the commutator did rather catch my eye.

I had a chat to my man Goggle, and he offered this:

image.png.844aca702cca06cc81687ff2d4f2e2bd.png

I just cant help but a nagging feeling that the someone might have scarpered with a bit of your spinny thing.

image.png.f2c2397e798e9436803b815ab4c76efc.png

but well, it's running fine, so I'm probably just imagining it. So sorry to have troubled you, old bean!

13 hours ago, h4nd said:

the commutator did rather catch my eye.

I had a chat to my man Goggle, and he offered this:

image.png.844aca702cca06cc81687ff2d4f2e2bd.png

I just cant help but a nagging feeling that the someone might have scarpered with a bit of your spinny thing.

image.png.f2c2397e798e9436803b815ab4c76efc.png

but well, it's running fine, so I'm probably just imagining it. So sorry to have troubled you, old bean!

Hmmm… I did notice the commutator was worn but I didn’t notice that bit. I’ll have a look at higher-res photos when I get back from Nats. 

• Like 1