Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Looks to me (And this is purrrrre speculation) that the Jaguar got a bit of a fishtail on and crossed the median kerb onto the other side of the road, sitting broadside across the opposite lane. It's an 80km/h zone and being T-boned by a large stationwagon, which may have had little or no time to slow, gives this outcome.

Happened in heavy rain, in the dark, with a 20 year old behind the wheel, on a moderate left hand corner over a crest. Sadly, I suspect you're right.  

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

How did they even get yhe body out?

In big fatals like that it's fucking hard to get all the various bits of human out.  The body may have been ejected in the crash and or potentially able to be extracted easily at the time with jaws of life.  If he got shredded on impact though, there will be a lot of him all over the cabin. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I dont even know how people (at the scene or wreck purchasers) deal with that.

I never even walked through a wreckers yard and thought "someone may have died in that"

Ive cleaned a few cars that people have committed suicide in, made quite a mess too,  just part of life

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 19:30, 75swb said:

Let's see if my temperamental French car sells this week... Then I can get the Jag to sit next to the landy leaking oil together! 

Didja buy it? I see it's no longer listed, although there's always the newer green one in Northland for $6.5k.

The autocar buyers guide has this very "Jag owner" advice: "Check for misfires on the V12 by holding a bank note over the exhaust pipes and watching for uneven fluttering."

You might also want to test the cigarette lighter by rolling up a bank note and attempting to smoke it. :wink:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

@Thousand Dollar Supercar

you know what i'v really enjoyed the build fred on your car. I'v chortaled a lot. Thanks. 

I have nothing but utter disdain for Jag's. I think since when I was at school watching Nelson's only high power accountant drop off his son to Nayland College (state school ) every day in a lovely v12 burgundy XJS right to the school gate as if some sort of sick pantomime of how good life can actually be if your drive the right vehicle.... the career just follows from the choice of car ownership I guess? 

Secondly I did some work to cram a new school V8 jag motor into a Series 1 XJ. I'm still nauseous from a issues we had trying to get that car threw cert. The guy who owns it had built his own aircraft. So you can but imagine the witchcraft that had to be involved when making the fuel pump and filter systems for the twin tanks. 

A throw switch for Right or Left tank select and the ability to pump tanks for even weight distribution. Because a balance hose would never be the same while inverted in the ditch I guess? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scooters said:

.. how good life can actually be if you drive the right vehicle....

Jag life's a bit variable so far.. but my Jag does get a lot more comments than my old Alfa 33 did, and kids who don't know any better do think I'm rich. B) Now that the XJ-S looks like a classic car, I probably get less resentful stares than Nelson's high power accountant did back in the day. I imagine it's just the odd Auckland electric car driver / hipster cyclist who hates me, for driving what they assume is a mega-thirsty V12. And for having a noisy exhaust. :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, scooters said:

Secondly I did some work to cram a new school V8 jag motor into a Series 1 XJ.

The guy I bought my XJ-S off said that if the motor had ever died on him, he had intended to fit a Jag V8. Maybe I'm missing something - the Jag V8 doesn't sound amazing, it's only 4.2L, if it's an old one then its cylinder liners will wear out, and you don't retain many car snob authenticity points for sticking with the same manufacturer when doing an engine conversion on a classic car. Just put a Chev in it so you can use a conversion kit and have better aftermarket support. Or if you're going for a more difficult engine conversion, have a better reason for it. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

4.2L, if it's an old one then its cylinder liners will wear out, 

Actually He gave me a full run down of the coating on the liner walls.... or some such.. I don't actually remember. 

Had a lot of trouble on cold start after about 1 year of running. The only way to get it to go was to pull all plugs out (took fuking ages ) and clean them out re start.. It was running real fat and was wet wet wet. But the liners were allways being chatted about as being the best thing since ever made.. But then a quick google and I read this..

" Nikasil coating and caused engine failures. Jaguar replaced affected engines, and has used conventional cast-iron linings ever since."

sounds gravy.. can't wait to pick up that phone call when it packs up. 

• Haha 2

What's your experience been with non-rubber bushings, like the one's you've fitted to your lower wishbones etc.? My experience with that type of bushing is they don't last. I had some nolathanes dry rot and fall to bits in my xr8. I'm pretty sure all the oem rubber bushings are still available.