Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Is there any way that you could swap out the pipes for oval section and run them straight along under the arms? Not knowing what the setup looks like so this is just an idea. 

This is the standard exhaust system of a V12 car (straight six looks to be the same from the transmission back):

jaguar-xjs-v12-he-coupe-1988-black-v12-he.jpg.1cebe83c046c1404edf20b318c289bf1.jpg

Here's what I think you're proposing. Sorry the image is so small. Perhaps this arrangement might not sacrifice too much ground clearance, and might flow better and keep the brakes cooler than the stock system.

XJS-LS-exhaust-overall-small.jpg.80e176b89c186d52efa9b15077d6b67f.jpg

Looking at the first image, a side exit exhaust would want to pass right over the suspension mounting point where the hoist pad is supporting the car.

• 2 months later...

@fishtailfredI used Print Mighty to generate the t-shirt image, because all the oldschool shirts are on their site: http://oldschool.printmighty.co.nz/

I haven't actually tried to get the shirt created yet though. The image needs a bit of cleaning up and technically it doesn't quite meet the site's resolution requirements.

What you should have is a shirt of old Volvos being towed by other old Volvos, with the final image being your cut-down Volvo body campervan. That would flow nicely into the 'oldfool.co.nz'. ;)

Pfft, my Volvos tow trailers full of goods eg small packet of kwila yesterday, not each other. As you saw last year, I fix on site with whatever's available ;-) Kai Iwi to Reinga to Hastings and back by RWD Volvo towing Volvo caravan, so far, and only a coolant hose let go once :-) I like the idea of making a shirt and site, though, may just do that.

• 2 months later...

That Manheim car was a fatal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/107899234/police-confirm-20yearold-albany-crash-victim-was-michel-cooper

Nasty business :(

Also, no reason you can't run the exhaust under the rear subframe. E-Types do exactly the same and we run a big bore through there on ours and it never scrapes (well not there, we occasionally kiss the long-runner headers on full compression bumpy road steez)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Esprit said:

That Manheim car was a fatal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/107899234/police-confirm-20yearold-albany-crash-victim-was-michel-cooper

Nasty business :(

Also, no reason you can't run the exhaust under the rear subframe. E-Types do exactly the same and we run a big bore through there on ours and it never scrapes (well not there, we occasionally kiss the long-runner headers on full compression bumpy road steez)

What the hell happened there? U-turn or skids or.. the car that hit it must have been motoring tho :-/

2 hours ago, morkster said:

What the hell happened there? U-turn or skids or.. the car that hit it must have been motoring tho :-/

Looks to me (And this is purrrrre speculation) that the Jaguar got a bit of a fishtail on and crossed the median kerb onto the other side of the road, sitting broadside across the opposite lane. It's an 80km/h zone and being T-boned by a large stationwagon, which may have had little or no time to slow, gives this outcome.

• Like 1