Dave's new Daily with all the Bees and Weasels

Muncie

Similar to my Holden experience I've ended up yet again with 2 cars I like but only wanting to keep one. 

I scored my mum's pride and joy Volkswagen golf wagon after she needed to trade up to something newer and not so low as she's a surgeon's worst nightmare (I actually paid for her new car) the dealer lowballed her on a trade in offer so I effectively paid 10 grand for the Golf

Haha in a roundabout kind of way.

It was slammed as and has been since new the wheels are some factory 18x8.5 option that were kerbed to oblivion, the tyres were shot and mum quite frankly didn't know about wheel alignments or how kerbs effect them.

20171124_134923.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting the wheel alignment done amazingly it drove great so I decided to get the wheels tidied up...... 

That didn't go so well they where stop sign shaped so I factory upgraded it to some 19x8.5s this did 2 things. made it an absolute weapon through corners and harsh as fuck to ride in.

But it looks choice!

Some VW foamer paid me $600 for the old fucked wheels too which I smartly re-invested in a huge stereo to drown out the guard rub.

20171124_145036.jpg

I decided it needed power as it's no 4AGE it goes ok if you stay in it and keep the revs up but otherwise it's a cruiser.

So I started looking for a turbo wreck to part out. Looked for a while and found this a factory GT Wagon.... not a wreck already turbo and crucially stock I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Its identical apart from everything deeper then the bodywork! Like leather heated seats 4wd cruise control oh and a TURBO! 

Plan is to swap wheels and sounds over to the GT leave it stock height and bang a towbar on for now while my back surgery comes right and enjoy it for a bit. 

Later who knows.... an exhaust and Ebay turbo and intercooler? is probably a given I love building exhausts so that may happen first sooner rather then later. 

If anyone wants a tidy mk4 wagon hit me up.

Screenshot_20180413-153634_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20180413-153622_Facebook.jpg

The New golf Cornering at speed on a left hand turn had a wicked vibration and was hitting boost cut.

Fed it some fresh 98 from sputtering empty and presto full boost again no doubt had a stale tank of 91 in it, owner was 80 years old so probably hasn't seen boost in a while.

Zoomed around in it a bit today vibration has gone after doing nothing but check wheel nuts tyre pressures (22psi front right)and poke at things from outside the car.

Must have just needed the cobwebs blowing out and general weekly car checks caught up on..... hopefully that's it.

5 hours ago, Nominal said:

WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!

I've come to the conclusion that unless it has pushrods I've got no fucking idea what I'm doing....... @Nominal I know that was meant to be dig but couldn't have said it better myself. Guess I better get some bloke in to clean my wallet out.

11 minutes ago, Muncie said:

I've come to the conclusion that unless it has pushrods I've got no fucking idea what I'm doing....... @Nominal I know that was meant to be dig but couldn't have said it better myself. Guess I better get some bloke in to clean my wallet out.

I don't like fixing modern cars either :)

• Like 1

Found this fuse was toast! Don't know what it does doubt it's related but cleaned up burnt contact fresh fuse it now runs and idles and revs. Ran a scan no faults. Checking earths on ignition and injectors can't hurt right? Found a coil earth that was crusty

15242814703246792910996740789467.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That bypass valves not stock neither is the K&N.

Ok its running and not hitting low boost or surging, so will order a new fuse box and research what that fuse does that smoked itself. If I was religious I'd pray it's fixed.

15242832214006962007548463201022.jpg

• Haha 1

Radiator fan fuse hmm. This is Worrying my guess it was unrelated was right. 

But it runs well again my obd scanner sez its happy. When it was running rough it smelled like unburned fuel, that's why I went poking around the ignition wiring and had a look at the coils. I also added an extra earth to the head and to the rocker cover just to make sure everything electronic has a good feed of electrons. 

I almost called a mechanic haha....

Probably still will.

Screenshot_20180421-170022_Chrome.jpg

Ok been doing some research this thing has been messed around with lots of little bits that add up.

Still trying to figure out exactly what but so far everything you would do to a GTI golf for a healthy power gain without going crazy has been done, it shows it absolutely rips when its running good. 

So next plan is to pull out a few things control valves throttle body maf sensor and test them one at a time if good make sure they are clean internally and refit if not I'm going online shopping. Any shitty vacuum lines will get swapped out for new ones too.

Some sensors on these cars were part of a recall so will make sure those have been swapped out in the past.

• Like 1

Ran it out of fuel deliberately yesterday I suspect I got a shitty batch from Gull in Te Rapa 10c cheaper so I went there instead of my usual,

The gassy has only been open a few weeks the tanker was there filling the tanks and their 98 is E10. Filled up from my usual spot with 95 and and its happy again thank fuck for that! Will throw a new petrol filter at it continue to hope it was a one off. 

Think my bluetooth scanner is off by miles either that or I hit 26psi passing a truck today...it also told me my non turbo golf peaks at 18psi of boost haha. 

15245265991556010358051594625398.jpg

11 minutes ago, johnnyfive said:

I don't have much to say regarding anything in the golf world. 

But with the data you're getting out of the obd port, is the MAP sensor absolute or referenced to atmosphere? 

Ie- with the engine off does it read 13psi?

Bloody good question..... next drive I'll check it.