Avenga's 1UZ V8 powered 1980 Avenger Wagon

Avenga

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/10/2018 at 16:32, Nominal said:

Usually the proportioning valve is only in the rear brake line, and won't affect the fronts.

The brake proportioning valve is just on the front circuit, it's a dual circuit cylinder. The valve I am using has a reduction of 0-57%. I did some more playing around tonight and I reconnected the booster and wound the valve up to maximum reduction and it feels really nice now.

IMG_6321_zpszfhg2oma.jpg

10 hours ago, kiwisurf said:

Can you build something else straight away please.....been my favorite build to follow on here and now its going to come to an end.

Haha. Yeah, sorry, it's almost done. One more nights work before my big trip down to the South Island. I still do have a few thing to finish off when I get back, like the proper wheels etc. But now it's time to have fun and drive the car :) :) :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kiwisurf said:

Can you build something else straight away please.....been my favorite build to follow on here and now its going to come to an end.

Hmm. Actually you might get your wish sooner rather than later. Over on the Avenger forum we just discovered that they made an Avenger Ute over in Uruguay. Imagine this with a 1UZ swap, some big lake pipes and big off road tyres. If I can find one then I am so keen to big one over to NZ

JYYmOCu4ar4vVs1g5Ra2am3-dW_1Ko1h7omRoHb9

1 hour ago, igor said:

How far South are you coming? I've been following this for a while and I'd love to see it.

Only down to Nelson this year. I go down to the Mopars in the South show each year. This year it's in Nelson, but next year it will be in Invercargill so I will be driving the wagon all the way down for that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Avenga said:

Only down to Nelson this year. I go down to the Mopars in the South show each year. This year it's in Nelson..

Stop in and see yoeddynz and scare him with your fuel bills. =)

Looking forward to seeing your proper wheels. I had them on my first car but 13 inch and FWD offset. Will you get tyres with white writing for maximum retro bogan effect?

415364443.jpg.c2a26a585f26460207985756de50cfd8.jpg

Real men smoke Eagers. 8)

• Like 3

So far I have only put one tank of gas through the new motor but it is looking like it will be more efficient than my green Avenger 1500. Because it is such a massive engine in such a tiny lightweight car then you find that most of the time you barely need to give it any gas. I will get a better idea of the fuel mileage over my trip but at the moment it's looking better than having the little 1500 with the dellortos. So yeah, I'm just doing my part for the environment!  Save gas, put in a V8!!

I wish I could go for raised white lettering on the tyres. That would look mean. I have BG Goodrich Radial T/A's on my Charger with the white lettering and they look cool. The problem is that they don't make any for my size rim. I am running 15x7 on the front and 15x8 on the rear. And 15 inch tyres are getting harder and harder to find. I run the same size on my other Avenger and I am running Toyo Proxy T1R's all round, 225/50R15 rear and 205/50R15 front. The problem is that now they don't even make those sizes anymore so I had to go Toyo Proxy4 225/50R15 rear and Toyo T1R 195/50R15 on the front.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

That's the same stud pattern and rim diameter as my Jag. Don't let me discover how ridiculous / terrible / awesome an XJ-S looks with Challengers. ;)

How long before we can expect to see you at a Burgerfuel meet, e.g. tonight?

Are you sure? I'm certain Jag are 5x4.75" (5x120.65mm)

4 hours ago, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

That's the same stud pattern and rim diameter as my Jag. Don't let me discover how ridiculous / terrible / awesome an XJ-S looks with Challengers. ;)

How long before we can expect to see you at a Burgerfuel meet, e.g. tonight?

I’m doing a road trip down to the South Island. Left this morning, I’ll be away for 8 days so next burger fuel meet I will bring it along. 

Car went really well today. First big long drive. Drives mint. 

2 hours ago, fuel said:

Are you sure? I'm certain Jag are 5x4.75" (5x120.65mm)

You're right, I must have remembered my fractions of an inch incorrectly. =(

Challengers do still come in the actual correct Jag bolt pattern of 5x4.75", but they're only offered in 15" diameter, as were all the older XJ-S wheel designs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, Mark_Fleming said:

living proof, you are conserving the environment.....thought I'd never say this....."That's really good economy...."

Yeah. I'm pretty pleased with the economy. I was guessing that it would be a little less than my 1500 Avenger, so it's good to see that it did work out like that. It works well because it is such a big engine in a very light car so most the time you need to give it very little throttle I could get even better by going to a 3.5:1 diff but I will keep the 3.9:1 I have in there until after the Oldschool drags.

Thanks. I was a little worried going in to the trip with only having done 400 km in the car, but everything went sweet. Other than that fuel line coming loose then I didn't have a single problem. And that fuel line problem only took me 10 mins to fix on the side of the road. So yeah, very good first trip! looking forward to the track day on Sunday! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey, looking good on the rolling stock.

Pretty scary on the steering though. I thought most rag joints had metal plates and pins so you don't loose steering totally?

Something like this

Borgeson+Steering+Column+Shaft+Rag+Joint

I suppose that can't really be refitted now as the spacing will be wrong. I guess you'll be checking it more frequently now

• Like 3

Thanks, Yeah. I thought they should have something to prevent total loss of steering. The old one just had nothing so I was parking the car and then just bang and the steering went totally limp. Opened the bonnet and the column had completely separated from the rack and was just laying down on the exhaust. So yeah, if that had have happened when I was driving then it would have been all over!!

My other Avenger uses a rag joint like that although it is much older, I restored that Avenger 7 years ago and I don't think I replaced the rag joint then, so it's probably 40 years old and still going strong. This one failed after only about a month, because I brought it new when I built the wagon. Done less than 4,000KM  

• Sad 3