Avenga's 1UZ V8 powered 1980 Avenger Wagon

Avenga

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/08/2018 at 22:39, Avenga said:

Thanks Richie. I'm rushing to get it ready for my South Island trip in October. Fingers crossed!!

The idle control valve is from NZEFI. Here is a linkĀ http://www.nzefi.com/product/2-wire-idle-speed-control-solenoid-kit-weld-flange/

They also do a remote mount versionĀ http://www.nzefi.com/product/2-wire-remote-mount-idle-speed-control-solenoid-kit/

Thanks man, appreciated! Good luck on making your trip!

I am impressed and jealous with your build and skills... I reckon stay with your current number plate ... the one you suggested looks like how dr Dre would tell snoop dog what kind of engine is in his car ... Iā€™ve got ā€œa v8 ngaā€ :-D . Good luck with your op and I look forward to seeing theĀ progressĀ 

13 minutes ago, noel said:

I'd paint those bonnet pins to match the car.

It's on my to do list. I want to make it as sleeper as possible. I might have to wait until I get the rest of the outside repainted though.Ā 

3 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

Well done man, absolutely flying through it so far!

Thanks. I am rushing to get it ready for a mopar show that I am driving to in the South Island in October. I still have about a month to finish it, so I'm looking pretty good. The wheel are the only thing that I am waiting on now.

• Like 2

Thanks.

Yeah, the invoice thing is a new one on me. I have never had to do it for any of my other certs. Most of them aren't a problem because I have the invoices, but I got the diff off trademe, I tried to contact the seller but he never replied. I sent the cert guy a copy of the trademe auction that had all the details of everything that was done and photos of the diff being built, and also a screenshot of the payment. So I am hoping that is enough.

Yeah. I had the exact same thoughts. You can tell just from looking that the Diff is really well made so what difference is the invoice going to make? The only thing I can think of is so they have someone to blame if the diff fails?

The vacuum hose on the other hand, we gave him the invoice which he was happy with, but then the vacuum hose turned out to be crap, it is collapsing under the vacuum when the engine is running. Which is the whole point of vacuum hose, so I am going to have to replace that, but he was just happy with the invoice even though the product itself wasn't up to standard. You think it would be better the just test of the hose is withstanding the vacuum alright, rather than just whether or not you have the invoice for it.Ā Ā 

• Like 4

On 17/09/2018 at 07:09, nzed said:

awesome progress man!Ā Ā 

whats the dealio with cert guy wanting receipts for things like d/shaft, diff shortening etc?

It's to make sure the job is done by a reputable person or that parts are what the owner says they are. It's also to save the owner a shitload of money because otherwise the certifier will need to do a lot more stripping of the car to check parts are what they are claimed to be or they would need to make mid-build visits to sign off on the parts as they are installed. All of which needs to be charged for, naturally.

Admittedly there is not much stopping someone from fraudulently representing their purchases but these are caught quite often at the various checks along the way and also if something happens to the vehicle once it is certified and it can be proved that the owner lied then they can be strung up by the ballsacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

It's to make sure the job is done by a reputable person or that parts are what the owner says they are. It's also to save the owner a shitload of money because otherwise the certifier will need to do a lot more stripping of the car to check parts are what they are claimed to be or they would need to make mid-build visits to sign off on the parts as they are installed. All of which needs to be charged for, naturally.

Admittedly there is not much stopping someone from fraudulently representing their purchases but these are caught quite often at the various checks along the way and also if something happens to the vehicle once it is certified and it can be proved that the owner lied then they can be strung up by the ballsacks.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

2 hours ago, Carsnz123 said:

@AvengaĀ would you have a set of brake drums surplus to requirement? A friend needs some to upgrade the brakes on his model T Ford.Ā Ā 

I think I do. have the drums off the wagon but I know I had to steal one of the springs to put on the my Avenger sedan. I will check a look and see what state they are in and let you know.Ā 

• Like 1

Yeah. I was really surprised by the "Vacuum" hose not being able to handle a vacuum, it's sort of in the name so you would think it would be fine. I have replaced it with nice thick rubber ones so they should handle it better.

I can't wait until I can get her out on the road. I have driven here around the yard a few times and even that is good fun. so it will be a blast to drive out on the road. Hopefully not long now!!

• 4 weeks later...

How did you end up doing the remote booster setup? Did you use one booster for each circuit or is it just the front brakes that are boosted? I am planning on doing a similar setup in my car and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Cheers

I just have the fronts boosted but I found it was too much braking on the front so I have temporarily blocked off the booster. Now that I have the brake proportioning valve then I might try it with the booster on then use the valve to wind down the front brakes.

• Like 1