Lowering the engine cross member?

Adoom

14 minutes ago, BiTurbo228 said:

From there it's a case of bending a set of steering arms to sort ackerman and bump steer (hopefully you can use manual rack ones as they're shorter which might help ackerman).

I dunno if you can do that legally / cert wise.

I think he's in a different country so might not matter

But yeah if that was in nz there would be many problems. 

Regardless of country though, putting a front steer rack behind the crossmember will make the steering go the wrong way  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cletus said:

I think he's in a different country so might not matter

But yeah if that was in nz there would be many problems. 

Regardless of country though, putting a front steer rack behind the crossmember will make the steering go the wrong way  

Haha had not considered that! Makes the decision of what to do easier (don't do the thing that will make it turn the wrong way!). Could possibly get a LHD rack and flip it upside-down, but LHD T2000s aren't exactly common!

Yeah I'm in the UK where our testers probably wouldn't be fussed so long as they don't look completely sketchy.

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure the unintended consequences would be in the bump steer once you add castor.

When you swap the uprights from one side to the other and then rotate them backwards to get castor, the steering arm having moved from the front to the back will now be lower relative to the rack than what it used to be.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 23:50, anglia4 said:

I'm fairly sure the unintended consequences would be in the bump steer once you add castor.

When you swap the uprights from one side to the other and then rotate them backwards to get castor, the steering arm having moved from the front to the back will now be lower relative to the rack than what it used to be.

Interesting... lower relative to the rack is exactly what I want it to be! Have dropped it by 2.5" with the front-steer rack so I can fit the tie rod ends upside-down on the original steering arms, but I've got about an inch of space between the rack and the sump in that setup. Would be nice to tuck it up a bit more out of the way as it'll be the lowest point of the car.

If the LHD-flipped-rear-steer setup means the suspension arm is, say, 1.75-2" lower then I could pop the balljoint in the original location and job's a goodun (aside from ackerman).