Bluebears01's '83 Toyota Crown

Bluebear01

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was originally thinking I'd  have to go auto due to the cost of W5x boxes. Although after doing some digging it looks like getting the auto going would be a pig due to requiring the separate TCU which is missing, and I think I may have found a cheap RX60 Cressida that is running ether a W55 or 57, should find out soon.

Carb is long gone I'm afraid!

Have you offered up the rx30 brake pedal next to the throttle pedal and clutch pedal in the car and confirmed it needs that kink in it? The brake pedal from the auto will be further across from factory I would think, so may not fit the clutch pedal next to it.

The cressida brake pedal sits a little bit more to the left than the original, putting it a bit too close to the clutch. It also has the master cylinder pushrod mount hole about 5 mm lower, which puts a bit of an ugly load on the pushrod unfortunately.

PWM I'm pretty sure. You could build an Arduino controller for it if you were game enough, but then you'd have to scope an operating system to get the control right. 

There should be a CD model of the same dimensions that'll bolt in its place which will be much simpler.

If you can, replace the factory condenser with a modern parallel flow unit, the old style are pretty average with r134a.

• 2 months later...

Note on engine mounting.  You may be aware but if not:

The UZS130 1uz was mounted on a slight angle to clear the steering box compared to others.  Hence the auto bell housings labeled U2.

So you might get lucky with the engine mounts but depends on bell housing etc.

• Like 1

Interesting, didn't know that. Cheers! So if I need to keep the same slight angle in this chassis it might be better to use the U2 bell housing cut/welded or with an adapter plate, rather than the NZ Automotive complete bell housing? Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 months later...