Do these require a crankcase filter?

daveyc123

Sorry for the crap title I didn't know how to word it. 

I have a non standard  carb and air filter fitted to my 1256 viva by a previous owner. This leaves a hole in the rocker cover and a hose coming from the oil filler cap. What do I do with these? Do they require little breather filters? Or should they be going somewhere? 

A couple of  pics to hopefully show what I mean.

20180330_144615_crop_619x619.jpg

20180330_144622_crop_619x619.jpg

Yup crank and rocker ventilation. Should be connected to the intake manifold which will suck in the oily gasses and burn them. 

Probably a wee filter is fine, or a catch can. Some engines like to have some vacuum at the crankcase to maintain a negative pressure which helps prevent oil leaks

• Like 1

They should go back into the air intake. One will have a PCV valve so should go into the manifold after the throttle, the other will not have a valve and needs to go into the intake before the throttle.

Or you could just pipe them into a catch can, either vented to atmosphere (not really the best), or vented back into the intake, and a drain that drains back into the sump (or drain can often).

Thanks for your help! 

There is a hole which has been blocked which goes to the air filter, I Can attach the hose from the filler cap to that. Would that be correct? (And unblock it) There doesn' appear to be any free holes in the manifold.

Sorry this is all new to me

i used an ali express vent to atmosphere catch can. came with a mounting kit and small filter for less than $30. half the price they re selling the same ones on trademe for.  theres a drain plug on the botton which you could probably fit a hose barb to and fit a straight return to the sump if you wanted. 

engine bay.jpg

44 minutes ago, daveyc123 said:

Thanks for your help! 

There is a hole which has been blocked which goes to the air filter, I Can attach the hose from the filler cap to that. Would that be correct? (And unblock it) There doesn' appear to be any free holes in the manifold.

Sorry this is all new to me

Yes typically they go to that bit on the air filter if there's none on the intake.  Up to you if you think this is the best spot. 

If you want a catch can I have a brand new one sitting here in Christchurch that you can have for what it cost me (cost me $35 USD on ali, so you can have it for $35)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Baffled-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Can-Reservoir-Tank-Oil-Tank-Universal/32788162539.html

Currently $38 on aliexpress but would take weeks to get here.

• Like 2