Nicks GS450 punishing twin

TimShadboltfan27

so we renewed the lease to our current flat for another year.. which means i have a shed for at least another 12 months. i thought i should probs fill it with another bike. I love my 250 but long road rides were so wounding at 90km/h at 8000rpm. I was looking for something more capable of long distances and with more cylinders. 

Along came this well travelled 1988 GS450. i took it for a ride and fell for it instantly. the twin cyls sound amazing even with stock mufflers, and goes hard in all 6 (you betcha - 6 fuckin gears m8) gears.

XjVHKZM.jpg?1

UdLMf2T.jpg?1

i am a sucker for punishment and the bike comes with a bit of admin - a half-fucked heated grip setup, leaking clutch cover, and a checkered history. has been round the clock at least once - previous owner used it as his weapon of choice for 30 years for rallies and touring. one bonus was that it got hit by a car not long ago and fell into a tree - drivers insurance covered a full repaint of tank and side covers, and a brand new seat cover. other than that, it's been well loved and came with a fairly complete service record. 

plans? tidy it up of course, have some exhaust wrap to do the manky headers (probs get a 2 into 1 when funds allow), install a pair of throwing star mags with fresh pirellis and perhaps get a little silly on yahoo japan auctions....

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 02/06/2019 at 21:07, kiwi808 said:

In the latest Beaded Wheels magazine there is an article on my dad’s GS450S that’s only travelled just over 3,000kms from new.

your mum must be a real handbreak eh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Owning this thing has been very fun! On my first day of ownership i thought i'd go for a ride with some tractor and saddlebag enthusiasts down Central Hawkes Bay to the Patangata Tavern for a shandy and sharn.

h393Cas.jpg?1

After fueling up, the battery died on me which i thought was odd. at least i had plenty of big hefty harley riders to give the only japanese bike in the group a push start. I quickly learned that these bikes do not like running with a dead flat battery. After a while it wouldnt even push start, which left me stranded somewhere on highway 50. thank god for AA plus!

Xyu66A2.jpg?1

The previous owner had told me the bikes battery would go flat after a while if not riding it often, these old bikes tend to have pretty tired charging systems so didnt think much of it. Didn't realise it would shit the bed within a day of owning it...

Started with the regulator/rectifier. a quick diode test showed it was chooched. A second hand article was had from a wrecker in chch. The bike now held charge, but every time it started up it would blow the main fuse. 

I found some helpful info on the GS resource forum, which helped me diagnose a faulty stator. A common issue with these bikes, as they are tiny, dont get a lot of cooling from oil in the cases and are just generally shit. tracked down a local replacement. Its a Ricks Motorsport Electrics aftermarket jobby. the thing is super beefy and has like double the copper windings on it than the factory article. 

F5CEfW6.jpg?1

Now just waiting for a gasket for the stator cover and can finally start getting some more miles on it! yay for old shit

• Like 6

• 3 months later...