Windscreen removal, tools, advice etc

Seedy Al

2 hours ago, tortron said:

Sawzall the whole frame out and let the buyer worry about it

Haha, I've got a pair of Holden VS statesman opera windows that I did exactly that to.

Bought the car as a parts supply for mine and no glass company wanted to know about taking them out so cut them out attached to 3" of panel work.

(Reason for keeping them is I know from being in the industry insurance companies have written off perfectly good statesman's because they can't find opera windows)

Insert Barryism: "I'm keeping those because they'll be worth plenty one day"

• Like 5

If a screens been replaced before the urethane is usually easier to cut than the original so feeding through a special cutting wire and attaching handles is the best method....but you have to be so careful getting started or around the edges as any little knick can start a crack. You have to pull down and away from the edges so the wire isn't being lifted into the screen. Heaps of places have these....glasscorp, glass tools ltd.....

The beauty of the wire is that it does the work, you don't have to saw, just pull/lean on each end alternatively and your away.

I rarely use a long knife as a) the risk of cutting/damaging trim and or yourself increases, and b, the scratching on the aperture needs to be throughly wired back and primed. I can't tell you how many screens I've pulled out here lately, that have been installed by the major franchises, and they're rusty due to not dealing with the scratches. S&S provides all their fitters with a great wire tool for removing screens safely and cleanly so there's no excuse for it really.

If there's minimal room between the screen and the frame, or it's an old nissan with too much urethane (true story) I have a new fangled tool with a fibre line that I feed around the whole screen and cut it out from the inside....it is operated by a cordless drill.

• Like 2

On all my older glues in ones ive just used the heat gun to slowly heat the goo / sealant / screen - and with light pressure it releases.

Been mostly cars that Ive ripped the hoot lining out of first cos the heatgun causes fires way to quick :blackeye: