Windscreen removal, tools, advice etc

Seedy Al

Hey guys. 

So I have someone on here keen on the front and rear screens put of the cressida im wrecking.  They are glued in units so no rubbers. 

Looking for people's advice on what the best way to get these suckers out without breaking them is. And yes paying someone would always be the best option. 

Anyone made a hot wire before? 

I just used a brake cable off a push bike, took a bit of sawing, never broke a screen. Was ~80ish corona, so likely same deal. Hot would be pretty sweet idea, but that urethane or whatever it is, is hardy no matter what. Did it by myself, but a mechanically mind helper would make things easier.

Heavy duty stanley knife with a pack of blades and slowly cut it out.

Break the blade down as the tip gets blunt to keep it cutting easily. Once you get thru most of the glue you can gently push on the screen to stretch whats left and it will cut alot easier

6 hours ago, smokin'joe said:

guitar string /cable and knife and heavy solution of dishwash as a lube

As the designated screen remover at work, i can confirm that guitar string works. Start on one corner and once the wire breaks through to inside, then one person in the car works well

34 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Choke cables work

And break screens often

1 hour ago, Firetruck said:

Single wire is the way to go

we found they heated and broke too often.

offsider had a 100m roll of what was a cross between wound guitar/piano wire and fishing braid, worked real good but stillbroke when caught on body joins

How I've removed screens before is to get some white spirits, cut the edge of the sealant enough to get some liquid in further and pour the spirits around the screen edges, it will slowly turn the sealant to a goop, it may take a few applications and a few wee slices but there's less likelihood of there being too much pressure at a point where you put some wire or some such through and end up chipping or cracking the screen.

• Like 1