Liam's attempt to murder a AE86.

ae85 fiend

Bought an AE86 off a friend..

Trueno hatch..

Bit of a cursed car.. Pretty much my mate got shafted from a Chinese fella that got done for fraud in Auckland for Millions, and was boosting around in a GZE powered AE86 haha, then my mate's back yard was under 2 meters of water in the Green Bay floods in 2017. Two of his mates ripped him off and nicked parts when it was being panel beated, then the painted robbed him too..

Then I bought it...

1985 Facelift Ae86 Trueno..

Came fully stripped after a full panel and paint ( paint is really really half ass'd ) and a few other goodies..

Since owning it, have found out the GZE was beyond hori and missing so much stuff, so had to buy an AE111 for a blacktop that I could see running/ driving..

I have the ability to use a hot wash / sand blaster / SHOT blaster at work, holy hell, it makes things look wonderful...

Here's a few things i've done in the 3 weeks i've owned it...

Put all panels on it, aligned the lights etc..

Found out literally EVERY second bolt has had the head snapped off which is a royal pain..

The guy who cut out all the rust welded over the holes for lights, all teh bloody holes for the rear side windows etc..

Have also bought some 3 piece Arrow wheels from trademe, $550 with brand new tyres which I thought was a steal, gonna look at painting the centers...

It also came with side skirts, aftermarket rear bumper, TRD spoiler and a roof spoiler which i've yet to put on obviously..

ae86 2.jpg

ae86 3.jpg

ae86 4.jpg

ae86 5.jpg

ae86.jpg

panels ae86.jpg

• Like 2

Ended up taking all the mounts / RWD parts off the GZE before whacking em on the Blacktop.

Bought a SQ kit ( again ) from Nic at NST.

Installed that, blasted the engine mounts / crossmember / front and rear bumper mounts - the fronts are PFL and one is odd, so doesn't really line up at all, made little aluminium adapters so its securely all mounted.. 

Ended up with a new Exedy clutch kit, new rocker cover gaskets, new oil pump, front and rear main seals, cam seals, some goo for a gasket for the sump..

Also ended up rebuilding the starter motor as it was seized up from sitting / moisture ( pic show's no solenoid as had three brand new ones at home and couldn't bring to work haha )

Also ended up giving the Alternator a blast / paint / new bearings, new slip ring and regulator at work ( did a cheeky and blasted the alternator mount, waterpump pulley and alternator adjusting bracket at work too )

crossmember balsted.jpg

rear mounts.jpg

shot blasted mounts.jpg

shot blasted moutns.jpg

starter 2.jpg

starter 3.jpg

starter 4.jpg

starter.jpg

• Like 3

Sussed out mounting the box / motor all up, put it in but ended up squishing the heater core outlet - didn't think to put the heater hoses on before i put the engine / box in - dumbass.

Managed to just get them all on.

Also managed to whip off the factory front sway bar, castor arms/ brackets and install the cusco front sway bar that came with the car, with some new rubber mounts, blasted and painted the brackets - looks so much better in my opinion...

Also chucked on the new genuine smoked guard indicators, the new grill, blasted and painted and cleaned out the bonnet catch setup, going through the entire car putting brand new anodised nuts and bolts for extra prettiness...

The cusco cooling plate was scratched up to hell, so sandblasted and painted that black - then found out it must be for a levin? As it hits the trueno light motors by about 5mm each side.

Fuel tank has been wire brused down, and used some Krylon rust preventative stuff on it - gonna blast the straps back to bare metal, then just clear coat them like I did with the crossmember - really liking the bare metal colour..

Also trying to move the car off the hoist thats on the ground so I can pull the diff out, wire brush + paint that a nice black, install all the nolathane bushes that came with the car for the 4 arms in the back, and obviosuly blast / paint those...

cusco front.jpg

cusco palte.jpg

fuel tank.jpg

oops.jpg

rear cusco.jpg

smoked lenses.jpg

sway bar.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Have done a little bit of work, but have lost all motivation..

Bought some more stuff from japan, waiting on my new window clips to turn up for the glass to be chucked in..

Bought some new weather seals - the hard U shaped ones for the doors from ali express ( like $12 for 4m rolls lol )

Also been trying to find the rest of the plastics i'm missing..

Also been splicing the 20v blacktop loom, which is my first ever attempt at wiring - its prob gonna be a fuck up, but i guess thats how you learn..

Sold the alloy 86 radiator for a rx3 one instead, have also undercoated the entire inside aside from roof before chucking in the interior..

bought a sweet as bonnet strut thing off ebay haha, new stainless exhaust and some gauges through work, trying to decide if i wanna put in the center console or hide in glovebox, also sandblasted / heated/ painted the center console, but used a gloss black haha might re do it a matt or something else instead..

ae86 20v 2.jpg

ae86 20v 3.jpg

ae86 20v 4.jpg

ae86 boot.jpg

ae86 deck.jpg

ae86 exhaust.jpg

bonnet stay strut.jpg

boot.jpg

center console done.jpg

cetner console.jpg

gauges.jpg

interior again.jpg