TH700R4 squeaking?

tortron

Getting a noise that sounds like a squeaky door hinge from under my truck.

It sounded like something in the brake drum or driveshaft squeaking on every rotation, but i had it up on jackstands the other day and spun everything by hand to try and find it. Not coming from the diff or U joints, and appears to be coming from the middle left hand side of the gearbox.

Makes the noise when I turn the driveshaft in neutral

Does not make the sound when i spin it by hand in the reverse direction

Does not make the sound in park or neutral when engine running

Makes the sound from cold and doesn't go away when hot

most noticeable at low speed, the as the speed increases so does the frequency of the sound. Doesn't seem to be noticeable when travelling at speed

Box seems to shift fine, no grinding or growling noises, or clunks when the gears shift

I replaced the trans filter yesterday and topped up with fresh fluid. On a 20km drive it seems to have quietened (might be placebo affect, i will drive it this week and confirm), but is still there.

Fluid needed changing, but no metal in there and wasn't burnt. Fluid level was fine, and is correct now

Have had no luck on google guessing what it might be. Input sprag seems to make this noise but is only mentioned as making this noise during assembly, not when driving

Oh I failed to mention that it also makes the noise when I spin the driveshaft in neutral (but not when I spin the driveshaft in the reverse direction)

I just had a look at the flexplate (no cover) and I don't see anything obvious. Will drop the driveshaft next chance I get to eliminate the U joint

Solved

Squeaking when rotating by hand was normal pawl noises. Squeaking while driving was probably due to the centre yoke nut having backed off a hair giving some play. Was also some schmoo in the thread. Cleaned everything up, replaced centre u joint because I had to remove it to get to the nut and I thought the play was coming from there so I had already bought one. Greased everything, and now appears to be good