EpochNZ's 1973 Saab 99 - Discussion

EpochNZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat down in the quiet part of the house tonight and proceeded to disassemble the gear lever housing.  Luckily the only casualties are one of the internal rubber bushings and the internal pipe with the major bend in it.  Seeing as I am bereft of major tools I might drop it in to an engineering shop or similar somewhere and get it straightened before getting the whole lot back together.

Had to make a major saving throw against charisma when a voice boomed out "You do realise this is my sewing room??  MY Sewing room???" (Cheesy Smile +4)

Then missed another lesser saving throw against dexterity when I sat on my grease rag while wearing my good work shorts.....crap....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 16:52, scooters said:

I worked for Holden in ozz we had the Saab franchise as well. I did a clutch on on. Would be a ok job with all the service tools but had nothing. But the whole North South backwards engine thing is a real ball ache. Actually I think I just slipped a new friction plate in and called it quits. Because the gearbox would not move enough and the customer didn't want to pay to have the engine out. Still not real sure how it all works. 

As always there's a trick to it same with the later 900, if you have the correct tool to hold the clutch together when compressed it slides out after unbolting from flywheel. You need an assistant to push down clutch. Book time was 45 minutes for the whole job

2 minutes ago, Borgweiser said:

You sick man, I also have a 99 sedan and a 900 Aero coupe. These kick arse, I also have a load of NOS SAAB 99 bits and some secondhand bits- I know all the SAAB Barries/Bjorns

Brother!!

Feel free to load up a pic of your 99....

8 hours ago, Borgweiser said:

As always there's a trick to it same with the later 900, if you have the correct tool to hold the clutch together when compressed it slides out after unbolting from flywheel. You need an assistant to push down clutch. Book time was 45 minutes for the whole job

I think we tightly wound rope around it from memory.