EpochNZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Goat said:

This is neat!

Any rego history? You planning to get back on the road?

Are these v4?

Plan is definitely getting it back on the road....initially as stock as possible then to start throwing in some mods (lowered, engine, possibly turbo).  Now that its firmly ensconced in my driveway I'll begin a rego hunt (its quite obviously dead) but the last Wof sticker was early 2000's.

The engine is a weird arse slanted inline 4 shared with the Triumph Dolomite.  @Threeonthetree or @Carsnz123would be able to describe it better, I'm just the schmuck who laid down the readies to get it out of the paddock!

Oh swoon. I saw this there but never realised it was a three door. Not until the way back to Nelson did @avengertiger tell me it was three door and apart from the boot floor quite solid.

Cool cars. I was very close to buying a mint 99 turbo, complete with aztec mags, when in the UK. Only 800squid and road legal. Along with the fulvia I walked away from not buying it still rates as one of my biggest fails in car purchase life :-(

Really happy to see this rescued. Top blokes both of yas for dragging it out. 

Watching with keen interest :-)

27 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Oh swoon. I saw this there but never realised it was a three door. Not until the way back to Nelson did @avengertiger tell me it was three door and apart from the boot floor quite solid.

Cool cars. I was very close to buying a mint 99 turbo, complete with aztec mags, when in the UK. Only 800squid and road legal. Along with the fulvia I walked away from not buying it still rates as one of my biggest fails in car purchase life :-(

Really happy to see this rescued. Top blokes both of yas for dragging it out. 

Watching with keen interest :-)

Still only a 2 door regrettably, I'm sure if it was a 3 door @Threeonthetree would have moved hell and high water to take it home with him as hand luggage after his last visit!!  Yep, there are a few questions to be answered underneath at the back but most of it gives a resounding and satisfying THUNK when hit.  The doors will need some work at the bottom as well but I've heard they can be a straight 900 swap.

I've seen pics of a '73 EMS on Aztecs (see the Euro car thread) and its in the back of my mind for a wheel upgrade.  Might be a bit hard to get a set out of Europe though, time will tell.

Drop by when you are down for Nats for a squiz if you like.  Oh, and thats a standing invite for all Natsters.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2018 at 23:06, EpochNZ said:

Plan is definitely getting it back on the road....initially as stock as possible then to start throwing in some mods (lowered, engine, possibly turbo).  Now that its firmly ensconced in my driveway I'll begin a rego hunt (its quite obviously dead) but the last Wof sticker was early 2000's.

The engine is a weird arse slanted inline 4 shared with the Triumph Dolomite.  @Threeonthetree or @Carsnz123would be able to describe it better, I'm just the schmuck who laid down the readies to get it out of the paddock!

Sharn alert 

When truimph were developing a new engine. Saab was also looking at developing a new engine for the 99 so UK engineering company Ricardo was contracted to design a new engine, but decided it was too costly. So Ricardo pit. Saab in contact with triumph.

The triumph engine was at first used only in the Saab at 1.7ltrs only later when the engine went out to 1850 was it used in the triumph dolly.

The one cam lobe operates both valves the inlet diretly below the cam is by buckets and shims and the exhaust is by a rocker arm positioned further round the cam for correct timing.

A good upgrade if you can find the bits would be a 1850 4 valve engine.

• Like 2

You join the growing chorus...so far @Carsnz123 and @yoeddynz have pleaded for the same.

I might try and drive it around in its current patina for a while before a respray.  Due to being psychologically scarred as a child (our family Marina was this green) I dont think I could live with it in this colour for ever.  Plus @Carsnz123 looked at it today and declared it needed to be lower.