KP_wag's muscular uterus

KP_wag

Heads off for a skim, new uprated valve springs and seals, and then back together using ARP head bolts and LS9 head gaskets which are GM gaskets made for boost. Also replaced the lifters (LS7), and swapped out the cam for something more turbo friendly. This is pretty much following a formula based on what the US guys are doing with these motors, my engine is a gen IV LS so has the bigger rods and with mods above these motors seem to hold together pretty reliably up to the ~600kw mark.

LePKU92.jpg

HatnUWi.jpg

Cam is pretty mellow but will piss on the stock cam everywhere.and idea is keep it snappy out of boost (ie retain low and mid range). Also has pretty sweet note (random Youtube link below). should confuse the 1UZ connoisseurs...  

• Like 5

will probably do better than 15L/100km if driven with economy in mind. maybe even down to 11 or 12 is not inconceivable but does depend on how much effort is put into tuning low/part load, overall weight, wind, aircon, tyres. the old motor would have been bad if it had a big cam and only medium compression with a loose convertor meaning you would end up having to lean on it at lower rpm before the lockup would engage just to get it to move around town.

are you sure the LS9 gaskets are OK on the 4.8? the 4.8 has a smaller bore (same as LS1 I think) and tbh any of the MLS type factory gaskets appear to do the job well and can even be reused in a pinch

• Like 1

Yeah, last setup didn't run a huge stall or anything but powerband was all up top so if you wanted to drive it quickly (without caning it) you ended up using a fair bit of throttle. It would put a grin on your face above 5k rpm but the kun hiluxes are way heavier than the previous gen luxas so really needed something with better mid range to make me feel better about the fuel it drank. The trick with turbo sizing has been to choose something that will provide the mid range but not be so small that you can't cruise under boost - time will tell on whether I made the right choice there... 

Re the LS9 gaskets yeah they are oversize of the 5.3/4.8L bores but they are cheap for the quality of gasket and a LOT of people using them on the same motors and making stupid power reliably. That discussion has played out at length on the US forums and people argue it either way but prolly half the 5.3/4.8 builds on there use LS9 gaskets because they are so well proven, with not one instance I could find of one letting go (below ~800hp at least). 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Hurry up!  :)

Haha, here are some more pics youve already seen. Starting to catch up to current state though...

Engine fits - with 2x4 offcuts for engine mounts. The truck LS intake manifolds are super tall and even dropping engine low as possible with low profile sump was surprised to see bonnet fits. Get about 20mm clearance btw bonnet and engine cover, was stoked to be able to use that manifold as although fugly they make more power and torque than the LSx car manifolds

uXCnitx.jpg

Steel engine mounts. Left the toyo outrigger thingees intact chassis side, and fabbed adaptor plates to work with some generic urethane mounts that were for some ye olde jeep thing... Needed to get trigonometrical interfacing the plane of the existing outriggers to block V. Tried by eye to start but math > measuring shit by finger width.

rbZmXbo.jpg

Z23Xbdp.jpg

• Like 6

Got the gearbox crossmember sorted. Gearbox fouled on the factory one as had a raised centre section but ended up being able to mod and reuse by flipping it so raised = recessed Welded in some 5mm plate to reinforce it where the gearbox mount was gonna go.

2KNz95R.jpg

Built a platform mount on top

ZRfszVZ.jpg

Installed with new urethane mount

Bd0F37S.jpg

Also got the first of two new driveshafts made up. Tremec-side has no slip or universal so important to get right, positioned the gearbox mount so that could use the factory hanger, will probably add some reinforcement there though as not much to it. Anyone have any idea how beefy the hanger actually needs to be? Factory one is pretty wimpy...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Manifold time. Was looking forward to making these, fuck me I forgot how many hours goes into them though - and I bloody need to do two! Coming along, was lazy and bought the collectors premade from Sinco which removed a bit of the work. Primaries end up pretty long to get the turbo where I wanted it, think I will need to brace the turbo to the block

im6SkjG.jpg

Xwh8fIq.jpg

75im0ik.jpg

Bought myself a #20 size water cooled tig torch to help get in around the collector, is so much more lush than the big chinese #26 I had been using. Also got a dual out regulator so could try my hand at back purging for the stainless downpipes and exhaust I will build. Drinks the argon but seems to work mint, makes perdy colours

XpoGTQg.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Twin pipes out da bonnet would be rad, but more going for a 'tidy modern slightly bogon but otherwise sleeper' thing. 

Got the second wastegate pipe done, hope these flow OK I wanna be a cheapskate and buy the smaller gates (40mm), but will be a pain in the ass not to have spent the extra and have it creep... Opening is nicely teardropped but still might not be enough whaddyas reckon? 

ENRm0kH.jpg

qwr8Kx9.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...