98cc's Resurrection Of The "Smith Spider" 2 stroke race car--Now with SOUND

98cc

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, might have to get in touch with him In the future. Dennis's mechanial fuel injection and ignition set up both use specially shaped cams for fuel metering and ignition timing. This stuff is all well sorted so hopefully I should not have to do much in the tuning department. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2018 at 09:56, flyingbrick said:

I agree. All of the work that comes out of this family seems to be exceptional ( @98cc you also built that plane with your dad? hopefully i'm not confused)

Its so great to know that people still build/restore things with this much love and attention to detail. 

Cheers for the comments Roman and FlyingBrick!   Yes the plane was a team effort with myself, dad and the grand dad. Its been finished a year now so the first annual inspection is this weekends job.    

On 3/20/2018 at 13:41, tortron said:

And anyway, if the 2 stroke is no good, you can emulate it with a cheap Mitsubishi engine

Good idea Tori, will keep that in mind!

every time ive thought about the idea of using two stroke boat motors in non water based things I have wondered if you need to change your piston to bore clearances, like your coolant cirucit in a car is never going to be close to that of once through water cooling. maybe thats just my engineer brain over thinking it though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Testament said:

every time ive thought about the idea of using two stroke boat motors in non water based things I have wondered if you need to change your piston to bore clearances, like your coolant cirucit in a car is never going to be close to that of once through water cooling. maybe thats just my engineer brain over thinking it though. 

It doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Dennis said that he never had issues with overheating, the car has quite a small radiator aswell.

• 2 weeks later...