Sheepers latest Ms75

Evan

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What brand of pot belly paint did you use? I painted my motorbike exhaust with a hot black paint from Mitre10. I think it might have been Plastikote brand? It cured nice and flat and stuck really well. I cured it for half an hour or so with a heat gun and it seemed to work well. 

I feel like it was this stuff: https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/plastikote-hot-paint-spray-paint-400ml-black/p/359061

On 21/05/2020 at 14:04, Truenotch said:

What brand of pot belly paint did you use? I painted my motorbike exhaust with a hot black paint from Mitre10. I think it might have been Plastikote brand? It cured nice and flat and stuck really well. I cured it for half an hour or so with a heat gun and it seemed to work well. 

I feel like it was this stuff: https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/plastikote-hot-paint-spray-paint-400ml-black/p/359061

It was white knight pot belly stove black.

Down at the collector it didn't burn off,  just up the top where it gets hot

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, anglia4 said:

How do you do this without getting paint on everything in/on/around your shed?

I don't. 

I used to try and make "booth" with sheets but it makes no difference. 

The overspray gets everywhere. 

But,  this primer dust doesn't stick and eventually it gets cleaned off everything. 

I don't spray much clear really. That shit sticks to everything but I don't seem to have to much of a problem with that. 

So,  in summary, 

Shit goes everywhere. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

I know you said this on your latest post but is it okay to wet sand expoxy primer?

i would've thought that it isn't sealed and ends up wrecking the primer

also what grade sand paper do you start and finish with? 

progress is looking good 

yea so epoxy primer is totally sealed and its no drama to wet sand it.

they used to wet sand single pack primers back in the day and it was considered normal practice. 

as far as sand paper goes it very much depends on what your starting with and what your end goal is but for me,

• 80 grit to remove all the old paint then first coat of sealer/primer.
  • 120 grit on the long board to shape first coat and also to sand any bog you need then another coat of primer.
  • 220 grit on the long board to finish shape and make sure you've got everything straight. at this stage you can spot putty any little blemishes or pin holes, then final coat of primer.
  • wet sand with 600, again with the long board. you have to use masking tape to join the sheets of wet and dry so they are long enough to fit on the long board - dont use 3M masking tape because it cant handle the water but most other masking tapes will last long enough to get the life out of the wet and dry.

for some people 3 coats of primer would be to many but i have found using this process makes the wet sanding way easier as you're not trying to sand and bumps or dents out, you're only flatting the layer of primer and that makes a big difference to how long it takes and it stops you from rubbing through and having to go back and spot prime. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4