Some EB Civic help needed - Christchurch

So I have this Civic at @- i5oogt -'s house in Mairehau. But it needs a couple of fiddly jobs done which I wasn't able to complete while I was there a few weeks ago:

- The sump bolt is a bit rounded so will need a pipe-wrench or similar to remove. I've already replaced the oil filter and there is new engine oil there ready to fill it with. Just need someone to undo the bolt, drain the oil, refit the bolt (or a new one which I'll try to source) then fill it with oil.

- One of the thermostat housing bolts snapped off when being removed. Should be a pretty straightforward removal with an ez-out or similar screw extractor. The broken bolt has been soaked in penetrant. Once removed, there is a new thermostat, top hose and existing thermostat housing that needs to be fitted. I've also got a big bottle of coolant ready to refill it with.

Apart from that it will run and drive quite well.

So if anybody could swing past and help out, even just extracting the thermostat bolt and undoing the sump bolt it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

And just remember; Of course you canterbury

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

• Like 3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've chirped out a very similar snapped bolt with a cheapie set of extractors before so I think it will work. But feel free to take a look at it first and assess whether or not it's something you want to have a crack at. Sump bolt should be pretty easy. Thanks for the offer to help, will PM you shortly and include @- i5oogt - 

• 3 weeks later...

How much room is around the thermostat housing?  I could make a sleeve with a.hole up the guts and the same OD and the hole through the t/Stat housing. It could act as a guide to drill a pilot hole through the broken bolt. Was it an 8mm or a 6mm thread? 

• Like 1

If you take the carb off (four bolts) there is plenty of room. As it sits, there's space but it's not spacious nor very tight. Just not a huge amount.
I think it's an 8mm thread as there are only two fasteners to hold the housing on but can't quite remember. @- i5oogt - might be able to have a look but he's probably pretty busy with Nats prep.