Evan's unbelievably awesome Mercedes 220S

Unclejake

Check again for rust updates. you got any photos of yours pre-paint for a comparison?

RE Lexus, those photos are taken at Neds, where it's being stored for the next couple of months while it waits for a panel beater, it's his Lexus

It'll take me a while to get photos as they're on a hard drive that's not where I am, but yours (in the last few photos) looks a bit worse TBH... but not all that much worse.

Do get your head up inside the rear wheel arches and check the rear screen drains for rust/blockages. It's a hard one to spot sometimes. The only other tip I could give you is to fit new seals to the windscreen wiper stalks (in 5 years when it's going back together.... LOL!). They're cheap as anything but do fail.... and as you know getting the heater and dash out is a HUGE mission

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

yeah go mang

only not sure about rivnut comment. I cant fully picture exactly how that works but using even a large rivnut to hold in something associated with suspension parts in difficult to access location seems likely to cause you trouble. at the very least the chance of a shitty thread galling causing the rivnut to spin before you tighten it up or similar. a fixed stud or bolt tacked to a sandwich plate or something like that might be more robust and less likely to be a pita. but maybe I don't understand exactly how this is going together and there is no load involved/it's just holding it there until the shocks go in or something.

• Like 2

Context:

Factory rear upper spring perch looks like this:

20190207_185148.thumb.jpg.fd6d6a5ff40d91f106e7ab249aa979e7.jpg

Mount slots over the top like so:

20190207_190253.thumb.jpg.d3ef31e37e8b1e2aca609771df83862d.jpg

just need to bolt it to the floor to stop it falling out/moving at full droop (which it shouldn't anyway as it's tight on the cone of the perch). the weight of the hanging arm, axle, wheel etc will be supported by either the shock at full extension or a limiting strap if the shock isn't fully extended - I don't want it hanging off the bag, in which case the rivnuts only have to hold the weight of the top mount.

Obviously a captive nut on top side would be ideal but the bit of floor directly above that is buried under the box section between the back of the seats and shock mount, which I want to avoid cutting into if I can

20190207_185325.thumb.jpg.022335b54fb0b3d7a3b22b31813d0410.jpg

The cert man might not like my ideas so it might still come to that...hopefully it seems like a good idea?

• Like 2