Evans 1965 Mercedes Benz Fintail

Evan

So that was roughtly June/July last year, the car sat in Archetype shed until the new year where I spent a week commuting back and forth to his house to pull it apart over the xmas break. I don't understand how some people can live in Hamilton and commute to Auckland for work - it's the worst drive in the world.

It all came apart reasonably easy except for a bit of dicking around with the heater core and a bit of lost sweat trying to get the dash pad out.3.thumb.jpg.f33601ef711d5c54edf61f3ad962dedc.jpg4.thumb.jpg.d0fd57999995748a5fda43edbbde4d23.jpg5.thumb.jpg.06bed51d1e7819a462b7d015889c7978.jpg

The floors got the dry ice and hammer treatment to get the sound deadening out. This revealed what I suspected when I pick up the car originally, that the front left floor pan/sill area was junk. The front left door flexed a bit when the strop was slammed in it when it was on the trailer, which suggested the area was a bit soft. you can kind of make out a bit of daylight through the passenger floorwell in the above photo.

• Like 8

It turned out to be a bit holy-er than I thought it was. We will start with the Good - the roof! Apart from a small dent above the right rear door it might as well be brand new!

12.thumb.jpg.883066640bb9dbc5d80d485e9bd396cb.jpg13.thumb.jpg.09949ab1c53be2191ec60d9f591daa4a.jpg

You can semi make out in the bottom right corner of that second photo and the top of the next photo some cut marks around the upper lip of the parcel shelf. The previous owner has cut chunks out of that entire lip all the way around, which is going to be a pain to correct

The Engine bay isn't bad either, a few pin holes around where the brake master cylinder bolts up, but no rust under the battery mount.

14.thumb.jpg.852e4e941cd42c390cbdd09b8263b93b.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...