diesel spam

Giant

This is fantastic feedback thanks @square. The last Hilux I had was the 2.4d and it was painful so I didnt even think about a later hilux engine.

How did you go with wiring the 1kz with a mechanic pump and were any sump mods required? 

How did you find the a340? Did it need it's own controller to run like the 4l80e?

The cummins stuff is so overpriced and oversized it didn't seem worth it. A 6BD1 could fit with some minor mods but will weigh similar to yours but with far less power. 

Screenshot_20240104-150956~2.png

Screenshot_20240104-150927~2.png

• Like 2

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1KZ was easy as to install, I had a rear sump one , cant remember source but the granvias have them. Once you put the manual fuel pump on it just needs a wire for the fuel cut solenoid and I ran the GM temp and pressure pickups so its easy as. 

WIth the trans I manually shifted it off the column, you can make up a box using diodes to out power straight onto the solenoids via the gearbox position sense switch, it cost $1.50. I did one the same in a 2wd 90 hilux and it lasted years. Otherwise the A340s were in all sorts of vehicles from supras to cherokees, from memory theres a cressida TCM thats standalone. They are a really tough box, I shifted that old c10 into reverse at 120 kph once and it locked the wheels, turned them backwards for a bit and didnt kill me or the trans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I hope you wore the brown undies that day!!

I did a bit of research and it looks like the mechanical pump is from a 2.4 with some mods required to increase fueling. 

Still looking up 2wd manual gearbox options.

• Like 1

There are a few options for mech pumps. I think a mitsi 4M40 pump can be made to fit, Yanmar also offered a marinized variant of the 1KZ with a mechanical pump which would be a straight bolt on option and already tuned for far more grunt than the standard unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I've heard the 4m40 ones work, the ones I've used ( 4 of I think ) were 1kz pumps with bigger pistons, I think 11mm, and a boost compensator from a 2LT. There's a few places that do them , KRAE, MDS, trundles etc 

• Like 2

Would the 2.8 4cyl cummins be an option ? like the fotons etc have, there was some spud that put one in a hotrod sort of a thing here and they are popular with the offroaders in the US

1 hour ago, square said:

Would the 2.8 4cyl cummins be an option ? like the fotons etc have, there was some spud that put one in a hotrod sort of a thing here and they are popular with the offroaders in the US

I havent really considered it as it looks like it needs an ecu. Ill have a look. 

Edit: they have quite a large front sump hump which would foul the crossmember sadly. 

Im open to anything excluding the 6.2/6.5 detroits. 

• 1 month later...

I can confirm  BMW M57 is the shiz. Bone stock is 220hp and 500nm. Almost zero issues with mine in an old X5 with 375,000km. A starter motor and one injector in it’s whole life. I would shudder at swapping it into something else though as they are very electrical, which is not my jam at all. Land Rover peeps are routinely doing it in the UK though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tortron said:

It amazes me that image search can telle that's a land rover enginebay. 

All the rust?

This landy is odd. Absolutely rusted to shit but has a galvanized chassis that looks brand new. 

1 hour ago, igor said:

Someone replaced what they considered to be the most important thing then ran out of money/motivation?

Not sure really. It looks like a finished project at some point. Ill be able to take loads of parts off it for mine. 

Just where it was on the coastline in Welly it was always going to get smashed by salt. 

Screenshot_20240210-122653~2.png

• Like 2