diesel spam

Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

hey after some advice, my 13bt diesel blew a head gasket today, I have a good condition 15b dyna engine I have been wanting to put in my cruiser for a while now 3.4L vs 4.1L. I was thinking about putting compound turbos on it. would the stock ct26 from the 13bt work with a hx40 I have? (has a 16cm rear housing) I don't mind getting the injection pump rebuilt\modified to suit boost and more fuels. cheers

A common compound setup on cummins 4bt 3.9l is a hx30 with a hx35, im going to use those on my land rover

Took 8 odd hours, but I gave the 1kz in my van a bit of a birthday today, main issue was a leaking rocker cover gasket but since the floor has to come out and the boost pipe had to come off I figured I might as well ditch the EGR, cleaned a good 5mm thick layer of scum out of the intake ports, swapped the intake manifold, TB and boost pipe for ones that I had already cleaned out (+ my TB had a boost leak from fucked spindle seals and a hard/cracked gasket and the small butterfly linkage fell off years ago so was jammed open all the time)

Also new glow plugs and a catch can (cheers for that @chris r) along with fresh oil etc etc.

Turned out I had at least 3 boost leaks so with them fixed and the ports now back to full size it really goes a lot better than it has in years, back to being able to accelerate up decent hills from 100k rather than just hold 90 if I was lucky haha

IMG_20210402_182929.jpg.dbc0e38fa4b3ac8e07449fd13a124732.jpg
Rerouted the vac lines to get the small butterfly shutting on shut down, forgot how nice it is having smooth shutdown with these things!

3" exhaust next and if I can track one down I'd love to get my hands on the W2A intercooler set up from a 99-02 Super Custom.

• Like 5

In follow up to my last post, just drove from home to Opotiki so about 150k of twisty hilly road.

Last time I had no power to overtake and it was a slug on the hills, had closer to 3/4 tank than full left etc.

This time it pulled up hill and overtaking and the needle is still on the top of the full mark!!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

Is that a result of better thermal efficiency , or just the extra power allowing a lighter right foot?

Foots not much lighter here lol

Guessing it's from the engine actually being able to breathe now in my case

• Like 1

Wagon's getting EGR and DPF delete later in the year - 15hp gain straight off the bat from the DPF delete, gets combined with a mild re-map since they're already going to be coding the sensors for soot loading and regen out. All up $1200 and 2hrs for a 40hp increase.

• Like 2

I had a customer get caught out by that rule, he'd had a full turbo back flash exhaust fitted on his late model v8 landcruiser and didnt have the dpf any more...

They are quite expensive new,  apparently. haha  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Raizer said:

Bit of concrete evidence, filled up in Tauranga.

New year's trip: 38.74L

Today at same servo: 23.46L

Mind: blown!

I'm hopeful, although realistic about it not being, as effective on a petrol engine. 

Chev came with a set of new unused headers that get rid of egr.

needs all the help it can get to use less fuel haha  

• Like 1

Very! When it was in getting a DSG service I said "What do you know about DPFs?", knowing that mine's getting tired.  His reply was that they'd never fitted a replacement one in 10 years due to the price - Near on $4k. They remove the unit, which appears to be about 4" diameter and cut it open. Gut it and then weld in a section of 2.5" pipe between the inlet and outlet flange, then zap the unit back up and reinstall. Once the heat shield is back in place, there's no way to see their work.

• Like 7