diesel spam

Giant

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaps, how can I make diesel thinner? I need it more viscous ASAP as the 15 metre long fuel line from the tank to my home diesel heater is too small in I/D so the fuel will not pass through it without suction.

I'll order some bigger copper fuel line (currently ~ 10mm O/D) but I need a quick win to get us through the next 14 days until the new fuel line arrives

22 minutes ago, Unclejake said:

Chaps, how can I make diesel thinner? I need it more viscous ASAP as the 15 metre long fuel line from the tank to my home diesel heater is too small and the fuel will not pass through it without suction.

I'll order some bigger copper fuel line (currently ~ 10mm O/D) but I need a quick win to get us through the next 14 days until the new fuel line arrives

Kerosene seems to be used a lot to thin out diesel for icy climates, it's also the go for thinning out waste vegetable oil fuel I've read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Geophy said:

Hey very basic question but im new to diesel life, whats a good oil to roll in the older 2l Hilux? Averaging a oil change every 3 months as am covering a few Ks commuting so happy to buy good shit if its doing a good job.

From my economic point of view, whatever name brand is on 50% special at repco/supercheap at the time is what goes in.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Geophy said:

Hey very basic question but im new to diesel life, whats a good oil to roll in the older 2l Hilux? Averaging a oil change every 3 months as am covering a few Ks commuting so happy to buy good shit if its doing a good job.

I just buy these when they are on special

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/penrite-penrite-hpr-diesel-15-engine-oil-15w-50-10-litre/123726.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuDDvx548tQl1dfMzK41q_chfYvEaeTyw0EmC4dhss4r84a9z7NQMixoCZtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any fancy tricks for finding air leaks in the fuel system?

If I leave my 300tdi for a couple of days the filter fills with air extending cranking time.

I'm guessing there is a leak either in the injector pump or a hose along the way?

I have so far replaced the spill lines as they looked suspect and there are no external signs of diesel leaking.

Side note, priming the air out still doesn't make it start first pop, possibly a seal in the pump itself?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Bearded Baldy said:

@NickJ guessing you have sorted it by now but fitting a non return valve just before the filter/primer should help sort your issue, used to fit alot to forestry vehicles to keep them mobile when waiting on new primer units etc.

Nope, living with it cos I just don't have the time to pull the pump and check over all the seals.

Where can one find a suitable no-return valve? if its an inexpensive 1 hour fit kinda job it would be useful for diagnosis 

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Nope, living with it cos I just don't have the time to pull the pump and check over all the seals.

Where can one find a suitable no-return valve? if its an inexpensive 1 hour fit kinda job it would be useful for diagnosis 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/listing/2906022472

• Like 2