diesel spam

Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Modern engines easily run over $100 in oil alone. I think some of the stuff we carry is about $35/L, for both petrol and diesel.

Edit: $100 for a service? Are you missing a digit there?

The TD42 is a bit of an exception as it's essentially a small truck engine as opposed to a car engine

• Like 3

There's not a large difference in oil capacity on modern engines, they're often around 5-6 Litres despite fuel choice, even for small engines like 2L petrols. The bigger diesel utes would be in the 7-8L range, and they do need the pricier DPF safe oils etc, but even the petrols are running stupid expensive stuff in them too. A lot of vehicles also run a 20,000km or more service interval, although at work we still recommend 10k coz  no one ever checks their oil and they end up running out.

On 21/05/2019 at 10:21, Casper said:

In Nissan diesel circles the zd30 is known as a grenade 

I like this topic.. I replaced a shit load in ozz when I worked their at a 4x4 shop

We tried all sorts of stuff to make them hold together.

dawes valve to take the boost control away from the ECU 

add more oil shorten the dip stick to increase sump capacity

Block the god awful EGR off

Replace MAF to stop the over fuel issue. 

nice big turbo back exhaust 

If you drove one with a boost gauge and pyro you might go ok and have no issues.

but they still went bang. Small motor big truck... boy sent to do a mans job kinda deal. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

Lol. Modern engines easily run over $100 in oil alone. I think some of the stuff we carry is about $35/L, for both petrol and diesel.

Edit: $100 for a service? Are you missing a digit there?

The TD42 is a bit of an exception as it's essentially a small truck engine as opposed to a car engine

Oh sorry,I didn't see the car engine and modern engine part of the question. Apologies

I always serviced mine at 5k intervals.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

A lot of vehicles also run a 20,000km or more service interval, although at work we still recommend 10k coz  no one ever checks their oil and they end up running out.

Diesel RAV we have at work does this. We almost invariably have to top it up between services. The check engine light often starts to flick on with about 2000 km to go till the next scheduled service.

• Like 1

yea it's a good one. My grandad had 44 gallon drums on the orchard. Old used oil went in and if it was left long enough the heavy stuff falls out of suspension 

In a old tractor just after WW2 scooping the good oil in the top of the drum and putting it back in the tractor was the only thing to do. Driven by money of lack there of. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1