diesel spam

Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very unusual story. How would you overheat the oil without over heating the water? If there wasn't enough water in it the temperature gauge wouldn't have changed, I had that happen to an engine once when it blew a hose.

If it has been proper hot then things could have warped a bit. Bores may not be round anymore. Might just be worth ditching this one and slapping the turbo gear on that other engine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yowzer said:

That's a very unusual story. How would you overheat the oil without over heating the water? If there wasn't enough water in it the temperature gauge wouldn't have changed, I had that happen to an engine once when it blew a hose.

If it has been proper hot then things could have warped a bit. Bores may not be round anymore. Might just be worth ditching this one and slapping the turbo gear on that other engine.

By running a bearing. that will get the oil hot very fucking quick and zero change to coolant temp. I will say that i work on truck motors and not smaller vehicle so it might be different. But in my experience is if the oil temp raised so quick it didnt get to the cooling system, thats bearings , they aint part of the cooling system and thus the oil will hold ALL of the heat. Yeah there are oil coolers but if you watch coolant vs oil temps while running up you can see how lagging/ disconnected they can be. 

Not a wail, but my experience. tear me apart if you will. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Atf is good for freeing up bores too, has the detergents in it for that, wont evaporate etc.

As for if its a bottom end issue,try turnign over via crank bolts? if these slack then it might be in the pistong rings. if theres none its in the crank.

• Like 1

check the negative/earth connections of the batteries to the chassis and engine to chassis if you can, bad connections there could also cause poor cranking

while hemis explanation sounds plausible it seems very odd that you would even know the oil got overheated without a temp gauge unless he has some story about the thing seizing up and smoking out of the breather or oil cap with the temp gauge cold or something like that. Which he would have told you? or is he being a bit cagey about exactly what happened to it?

Yeah my thoughts exactly (re: Tom's post). I've personally never seen a "small" engine cook the oil from a bearing failure, generally because it either makes so much noise, locks up or spits the rod before it gets a good glow on. If that is what happened though, or any failure that results in overheated oil, I think it's pretty safe to say it's an anchor.

• 2 months later...

I can't recall the brand of the one I was gonna get, which is annoying me, but it was about $400 and combined EGT, boost and whatever additional temp sensor into one unit. I think the scales could be adjusted too 

Edit: this might be the one I'm thinking of, if not it's very similar. 

https://www.redarcelectronics.co.nz/monitoring-gauges-g52-bet

Chuck the probe post turbo then? 

Im about to fit one of those gauges in defender, I've got the water temp sensor as well so I'm replacing the temp gauge in the dash with the redarc guy. 

I think it's worth the money, has nice features like temp warning, relay output etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...