diesel spam

Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to a clutch guru today. 

Looks like the easiest way to upgrade @- i5oogt - fully hektik clutch raping diesel Datsun will be to fit a flywheel from an RFB. A 240 mm clutch could fit the  LD flywheel, but given how much thicker the LD flywheel is, the geometry of the clutch fork will be up the fuck. (Due to the much taller profile of the turbo rfb clutch cover) but on an RFB flywheel it would be very close to the pussy 225mm clutch cover on the thicker diesel flywheel. 

The clutch guy was very concerned about the cover fitting inside the bellhousing being thicker and spaced out further. (Showed me a brand new clutch cover which had fouled inside a bellhousing and made a noise) 

A lighter flywheel.could make it sluggish on hills. But the Churbro charger will.fix that.

• Like 1

I just phoned a mate of dad's who used to be an LD28 GURU.  (20 years ago he used to offer a drive in, drive out LD28 conversion on all manor of cars) 

He said they're way more hektik with a light flywheel*. Might not idle as lush. But go heaps harder for what it is

RFB flywheel/clutch here we come!

*not his actual words.

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I just phoned a mate of dad's who used to be an LD28 GURU.  (20 years ago he used to offer a drive in, drive out LD28 conversion on all manor of cars) 

He said they're way more hektik with a light flywheel*. Might not idle as lush. But go heaps harder for what it is

RFB flywheel/clutch here we come!

*not his actual words.

Was that Rick - he loves his LD's

Pretty much Dolan. I have a light flywheel on my sidevalve. It's only affected by a hill long enough to lose momentum on. Little rises don't matter. Just put your foot up it over the Bombay's mate

-i was actually faster up the kaimais with it 

58 minutes ago, Dolan said:

I can't see how a lighter flywheel affects anything on hills unless the flywheel weighs like 3000kg and is on a steam traction engine

idle maybe, but aside of that, meh

I've always been suspicious of this thought too, and have never heard of anyone with a light flywheel complain of it.

Mind you, any car you put a light flywheel in probably has plenty of power to make it up a hill without struggling anyway, so you'd never notice.

My mate had an 808 coupe with a flywheel we took heaps off. It used to bog off the line often. 

And an A15 I had with a nice light flywheel. Used to peel.off.speed quickly with any uphill driving. (Speshly in fifth)

The blown. One did too.a.bit. but a bit more pedal made short work of it.

Fitted chromally (sp?) flywheel to the 910 when the ca18det was in it , and it was great, but i didnt grab the super light one but was way,WAY lighter then factory and the only thing i noticed is you needed more pedal to take off because it would stall easier, thats it.