Mitsubishi/Todd Motors Heritage Day - April 15th, Porirua

xTerraH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

excerpt from Wikipedia,

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

History[edit]

The history of Todd Corporation is understood to have begun in 1885, when Scottishimmigrant Charles Todd founded & opened either a wool scouring business (according to Todd Energy) or a rural goods store in Central Otago. By 1929, it had evolved into a car sales and maintenance business run by his son and namesake Charles Todd after the company began importing motor vehicles.

This automotive business would define the Todd family business until well into the 1980s. Charles Todd was credited with bringing the first motor car into Otago and in 1908 acquired a Ford dealership in Dunedin then in 1928 acquired the Rootes Group franchise for Hillman, Humber and Commer and obtained an Auckland branch.

During the protectionist years of the 1930s the Todd family formed Todd Motor Industries Limited and in 1934 built an automotive assembly plant in Petone to reassemble vehicles imported as parts from Chrysler (USA) and Rootes. According to the Todd Energy website by 1964, Todd Motors was assembling and selling over 10,000 cars per year. In 1970 the company purchased the New Zealand Mitsubishi franchise. This franchise and assembly plants were sold to Mitsubishi Motors in 1987.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The original Todd cottage in Heriot is still there. I keep meaning to photograph it and other relics of the era. Will be interesting to see if any Ford Ts turn out for the heritage day along with the Rootes group stuff.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Cool pics. I'd upload some, but mine are much the same as what you have taken already.

Was a pretty cool event, actually. Worth the long drive. There was even another car the same colour and with the same interior as mine there which was pretty cool to see and was good to meet and have a yarn to @Avenga. Such a Cool dude.

• Like 1

Same here. It was nice to catch up with the EX guys. Pretty awesome turnout and it was pretty cool rocking up to the hotel and seeing the Lancers.

I snapped my clutch cable on the way back up so I had to get it fixed in Taupo.

The little clip on the end that connects to the clutch pedal broke off.

IMG_5568_zpslnlpevgp.jpg

Took it to a local workshop and took the cable out of the firewall

IMG_5569_zpsetbopvlz.jpg

Then welded the clip back on

IMG_5570_zpsr83g8bid.jpg

Didn't get home until about 8-9pm so it was a long drive for me.

• Sad 1

On 4/17/2018 at 13:12, Avenga said:

There was about 150 cars.

Here are some photos.

We all parked up outside the old Admin building, which is now the headquarters of MMC NZ. There was another big field of car but I got there early so I could park in front of the admin building itself

And also Mike Todd had his genuine E49 Charger there *Drool*

IMG_5559_zpsv8grmben.jpg

Its a fairly significant E49 - its actually Rod Coppins old race car from the early 70's

It left the Chrysler factory as  race car, the cars destined for NZ didnt get the big Bathurst fuel tanks.

I think its the oldest surviving E49 as well - NZ got the first of the E49 deliveries

Its a pretty cool car to drive - the noise is amazing when it comes up on cam and the webers are wide open :-)

• Like 3