Fibreglass, Carbon Fibre, Paper Mache - The composites chat thread

Roman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that is honestly the best way if its possible. A 10mm radius would do wonders for how that turns out.

Also, don't cut the CF too close to the edges as the over-hanging material adds valuable weight to pull the material around.

your plug looks great so far! Don't bother getting the finish too perfect because its largely irrelevant to how the outside visible face will look.  Just make sure you wax and PVA it more than you think you need to.

Edit. 

Fuck you, roman.:grin:

• Like 1

If i wanted to make a mould and copy this spoiler, what would be the best way to do it? Its currently a big solid slab of foam rubber. Would be looking to make carbon versions eventually but probably start with fibreglass for cost/practice. The basic shame seems fairly simple. Fill the cracks, coat it in something and then lay fibreglass to make a mould? A bit like this I guess

Ideally I want it to have a flat base, and hollow. Would it be best to make it in two pieces, the top/sides and the bottom and then adhere them together at the end? This would make it easier to affix studs into the base if I wanted to.

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

• Like 1

True, probably need to be quite careful with your approach to making a mold from it then too. 

I'd first consider making one from 2 part polyurethane closed cell expanding foam

Not the shit in a can but buy some of the good stuff. 

Wax up the wing fairly liberally box up the perimeter then pour it on.

As that way if the mold doesnt release it's less likely to damage the original part getting it back out. 

And prob try it first on something similar to get a feel for it.

I've had more than 1 thing that never came back out of a mold...

• Like 2

This is my scheme for a base plate for my trumpets. 
Trumpet just sits on/around an internal sleeve. 
Just smoosh some chopped up cf in the bottom and fill it up with epoxy so it hopefully self levels decently on the top side.
Then bust the filament back out (or dissolve if needed) and hopefully have an OK flange that's decently strong. 
126286930_826851534738436_2874148404618065706_n.jpg

Also I've always found it a pain in the ass to get the portions of epoxy right for fiddly small amounts.
However I've just got a pair of wide nozzle syringes. One is 20ml and another that's 5ml 
So with a 4:1 ratio I just need one full syringe of each and it's exactly right.
Much easier!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok the chopped up carbon idea was good/bad.

Because it was going into a tight space and i was sort of draping it in there with a plastic knife. All of the fibres orient the same way. So it broke very easily perpendicular to this direction as its only the epoxy holding it together. Will try again another time but be more concious of fibre direction. Probably would have been better with less resin.

I think this will be great in some cases and a good use of scrappy left overs.

54 minutes ago, Roman said:

Because it was going into a tight space and i was sort of draping it in there with a plastic knife. All of the fibres orient the same way. So it broke very easily perpendicular to this direction as its only the epoxy holding it together. Will try again another time but be more concious of fibre direction. Probably would have been better with less resin.

I forget which resin combo you were on but some of the adhesive tech resins will show an increase in toughness after an elevated post cure.

Can you not make the flange as a seperate plate and bond it to the runner?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roman said:

Kinda sounds like your bits of cf were too large? I mean, you could chop it up real small, mix it with resin in a cup and then kinda spoon it in

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to make a coolant overflow bottle? I want to do one as there's bugger all room in my engine bay (and bugger all for intake piping + filter). Would probably have to be able to withstand temps of the hot coolant + engine bay. 

This polymorph stuff looks like it could be worth a try using as a mold material?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/esun-polymorph-hand-moldable-plastic-250g-bottle.html?queryID=826ea9d05e567fda145397744300bd71&objectID=52809&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

I wouldn't worry about looks, except for the top thats visible really. 

• Like 1