Fibreglass, Carbon Fibre, Paper Mache - The composites chat thread

Roman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Impatient much.. anyway I decided to get in to it because I wanted a bit of flex to the the light out before the resin had 100% cured, but moreso so i can sleep tonight, lack of draft angle and semi keyed in angle in a couple of places meant it could have been touch and go.

surface finish has some light lines from brushing on the pva and a small bubble at the point of the light which is covered by the bumper so no problem. Released easily...

I'm calling that a win for a first attempt, hopefully I can now make a usable part!

Will have a think about how much of the edge to trim up.

20181130_183219.jpg

• Like 9

Had to fight for over an hour to get the  second light out of the l/h mould. I was willing to sacrifice my $20 light to save  the mould. Below is the remains of the light.

20181207_191048.jpg

Also my aliexpress carbor fibre turned up today, man you have to be careful not to open up the weave!

Will find out if I have managed to make a thing or if I have wasted a bunch of time and have zero to show for it.

this is just 2 layers of cf and budget polyester resin. It went off a bit too quick for my liking probably because it was pretty hot in my shed this afternoon.. I'm pretty confident it won't be great on the finished side but may be salvageable.

20181207_185221.jpg

• Like 6

Hey dudes, I've had a read through this thread but am still a bit unclear on the best way for me to go about what I am trying to do. I'm in the process of shaping a comb raiser for the stock of my rifle to bring my line of sight up to where the new optic is mounted. I am currently using high density foam to shape a template, once this is finished what would you guys recommend as the next step? Do I need to go to the trouble of making a female mold from the template and then fibreglassing this or will a couple of coats of reinforced filler/bog over the foam be sufficient? It needs to be fairly sturdy as at some point its likely to get dropped but weight isn't too much of an issue and neither is the ability to make another as this is likely to be the only rifle of this type I build for awhile. 

22 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

Hey dudes, I've had a read through this thread but am still a bit unclear on the best way for me to go about what I am trying to do. I'm in the process of shaping a comb raiser for the stock of my rifle to bring my line of sight up to where the new optic is mounted. I am currently using high density foam to shape a template, once this is finished what would you guys recommend as the next step? Do I need to go to the trouble of making a female mold from the template and then fibreglassing this or will a couple of coats of reinforced filler/bog over the foam be sufficient? It needs to be fairly sturdy as at some point its likely to get dropped but weight isn't too much of an issue and neither is the ability to make another as this is likely to be the only rifle of this type I build for awhile. 

I know a guy that makes very cheap adjustable cheek rests. I have one here i could get photos of if ya want.