Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

20 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Nice air filter

BUT

I can't help but think the air up there is going to be thermonuclear hot. (Spesh with the reduced air flow because rear engine)

If you can find the carb adapter from a C20 vannetre,  that should fit. Then you can route a duct to somewhere cooler. Cold.air is free horsepower. For every eleven degrees farenheit that the temperature lowers you gain one percent power increase.

Yeah totally correct. I'd even been into Nelson looking for alloy ducting but the place that stocks it didn't have the size I wanted. I'd bought a pod filter for the job but it was huge and ugly. I was going to mount it down low. I realise it's gonna be fucking hot up there so yeah.. I need to do something. However I just wanna drive the thing and check every thing out so a top mount filter will suffice for now.  Ideally I'd be sticking side mounts in place given the huge amount of room I have there but again.. I just wanna drive it. 

Imps generate a big vacuum area and the engines get filthy quick (shame) . Certainly have to have a good filter system.  The southern hemisphere cars actually ended up with a feed tube from the drivers door frame due to our dusty roads. But it's too tiny for a bigger engine so I removed it and welded over the hole. 

Id spotted the c20 top hat thing on datto wiki. Looks ideal. Easy to find? 

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try 

datsun parts NZ

datsun owners of new zealand, or 

new Zealand datsun club Inc on Facebook.  Those three pages are the main go to. That an NZ datsun.com. 

I used to have one. But I gave it to @dirty_leppa. I don't know if he ever used it or not. (I also doubt he still has it either) 

I'm a member of the datsun FB group so yeah - I can try. But actually it'll be more fun and satisfying to make my own and then it can suit the spot perfectly. I have a feeling that the Datsun item will still be too tall.

Must do sidedrafts.....

• Like 4

On 12/05/2019 at 21:33, Yowzer said:

An air intake on the side like on an MR2 would allow for some super sweet induction noises

No holes are getting put in the side, or anywhere visible. Its a sleeper. I don't want to give the game away that it has 68 ponies (gross..) waiting to be unleashed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, dmulally said:

I have not only a C20 vanette, but an SC12 and a commer van carb hat. All can be had for rip off high prices. 

I can swap for a weber 28/36 carb that someone gave me. 

Oh hang on.. That was you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

great work man, as usual

love the wee video, each time gaining a wee bit more speed and confidence.

engine note is suitably angry, but in kind of a cute way, "ohhhh look at the cute widdle puppy trying to be tough and growly - whos a good boy? you are. yes you are"

gggggrrrr

• Like 4

Cheers.

Yeah it sounds meaner then 68bhp (gross...) should do. That little carb is certainly holding it back. At about 4500 it starts tailing off.  I think also that the E15 electronic dizzy might not have the right advance, nor does the vacuum unit I've retrofitted from some ford. 

Basically I'm going to get a replacement main chip that's missing from the MS1 that I was given ages ago and at the very least run full lecky ignition. Injection  won't be far away.. 

But for now.. Drive it. 

• Like 4

Forgive me for being too lazy to do the maths, but the contact area between the pipes is small compared to the surface exposed to the air/frame, i'd safely wager that any heat leak will be minimal compared to the cooling from such long runs.

Imp looks pocket sized in some of the pictures, like it could be easily stored under a bench, the perfect car really!

I wish you many pleasant adventures to come.

Did they ever put SU carbs on the Datsun A series?

• Like 1