Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a goldwing imp I would mount the engine in the rear and providing there was space I would mount a commodore IRS diff to the output shaft of the goldwing gearbox. Just flip the diff and change the breather if need be. If not enough space I would mid mount or front mount. 

Then sell me the datsun imp. 

It really is win win. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dmulally said:

For a goldwing imp I would mount the engine in the rear and providing there was space I would mount a commodore IRS diff to the output shaft of the goldwing gearbox. Just flip the diff and change the breather if need be. If not enough space I would mid mount or front mount. 

Then sell me the datsun imp. 

It really is win win. 

This man knows what's up. Flip the diff like they do in Formula 1st to convert VW engines to mid engine. 

Other things to think about: 

Do you want the engine in front (mid engine) or hanging out the back? If you keep it hanging out the back then a standard diff (Nissan R200 etc) might actually drive the correct way? 

Does the output shaft spin the same way that the engine does? The gearbox may reverse the drive. 

35 minutes ago, tortron said:

Those electric reverse setups will be fine. A full dress Goldwing would easily be twice the weight of an imp

Yeah. Not hard to sandwich a drive sprocket/flywheel between the gearbox and diff coupling and solid mount a starter to the diff snout for reverse. 

The project is practically building itself. 

• Like 1

Weeeeeeeee... I like all these suggestions. I'll be opening up the old transaxle and swapping the bellhousing over to the new box so whilst there it would be rude not to check out if the diff flips over etc.

Otherwise I do have an idea. The flat six actually has a few options, idler gears, sprockets, cogs and toothy things hanging out the back that I can muck about with.

As much as I love the sound of a nice V6... I really fancy that baby Porsche flat 6 sound in an Imp :-)  I still have several V6 engines kicking about too.. but for future project ideas/paper weights. 

You have certainly got me curious though.... I wonder if people have used such engines to repower little cars. I think most decent outboards command big money dont they?

It's much easier to stuff a bike engine in an Imp than a mini and they put them in mini's all the time. 

If I were to do it again and actually keep the back seat, I'd look at a Honda ST1100 or ST1300. V4 and smooth as silk. Front or rear. Which ever it could fit easiest in. 

Or a Daimler 2.5 V8. Whatevs. 

1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

As much as I love the sound of a nice V6... I really fancy that baby Porsche flat 6 sound in an Imp :-)  I still have several V6 engines kicking about too.. but for future project ideas/paper weights. 

You have certainly got me curious though.... I wonder if people have used such engines to repower little cars. I think most decent outboards command big money dont they?

I have a spare powerhead. 3.0l loop charged, they make 225hp standard and can get them upto 400hp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

I have a spare powerhead. 3.0l loop charged, they make 225hp standard and can get them upto 400hp

• Like 3