Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Yeah- I can see more arriving on the horizon.  Just in case eh....

i can't believe how easy you have managed to find all these imps.

i have been on the hunt for parts up to 12 months ago for the Sunbeam Sport in the basement, to no avail (apart from a bonnet from Frank the Bodgy ), and you find 6+ in no time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valiant said:

Hi Alex.

I see you have three imps, but no A15s and no gutted side drafts running injectors to use them as TBs with a supercharger strapped to the side forcing increased volumes of air into them with a custom homebuilt Hannah ECU to control the injection variables and ignition timing?

I feel that is the pressing question here.

I agree.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2018 at 07:17, yoeddynz said:

Please tell me more about these datsun half shafts. Details please. What car, adapted how etc etc

Oh.. And the R1 Imp :-)

They were the ones that mounted to the R160 diff iirc and they had the adapters welded onto to imp side brackets that usually held the donuts. It took the donuts out of the equasion and were trouble free. It looked like the attached although that file says R200. Dunno the differences. 

As for the R1 it lasted about 20 minutes but it was a fun 20 minutes. I made a plate to enclose the transaxle and used a bearing to support the input shaft. I mated that to the bike sprocket and off I went. If doing it again I would use a commodore diff and starter motor reverse on a custom sprocket or on a disc rotor. I had to cut the parcel shelf iirc. I had pics on photobucket but we all know what happened to that. 

If I had my Imp time again I would use an A12 or EA18 mated to a VW gearbox. The gearbox is terrible. I used to carry a spare one on the parcel shelf as it was just easier that way. 

R200-complete-rear.jpg

• Like 2

Blimey it was so long ago. I honestly cannot remember. I bought it as an unfinished project so I don't know if they changed it at the wheel side. They looked exactly like the pic above though. 

I have no idea about the side but it wouldn't be hard to cut and shut. They were sliding so as long as it was narrow enough you could slide them out to suit. 

Pretty sure I took them to the tip. 

Yes- photobucket is arse!!!!  So much good information has just disappeared  :-(

Yeah- I shall stay in touch. I'm after a later transaxle which are apparently fine for over 100bhp so long as ya dont go dropping clutches or cane it in rally stages. Shock loads = no good. I reckon the big Nolathane doughnuts should be quite good. A normal Imp wouldnt be able to run them though as they dont have the required sprung centre clutch to take up shock loads.

Tell me more about your Commer. I presume a Commer Imp? Where be the build thread?.............

Yeah he's bloody lucky he didn't get pinned to a fence and die. This is the slip what hit him. There were several massive slips just along this stretch of road alone.

28056507_957797947720114_6133596891858427505_n.jpg.04e7571bb1be706ac4dfce74dabe4af9.jpg

The huge one that came down through our land is scary as because it could have been so easy to have popped up the quad track and get taken out by it. Shit those slips move quick. Just finished two more days of cleaning up the mess and still a lot to go. It sucks. My back aches!

• Sad 3

On 3/1/2018 at 08:42, yoeddynz said:

Tell me more about your Commer. I presume a Commer Imp? Where be the build thread?.............

Commer Van. Probably has less HP than an imp. The engine shat itself on the weekend actually. I'll try and breathe life into it this week but I think it may be time to put the rapier donk in there. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2018 at 20:12, tortron said:

pics of van getting its 4wd flex on plz

I'll get some photos of it traversing across some very muddy puddles.

It is actually looking quite butch all mud up the sides. Needs an LSD rear axle to be truly effective offroad. Oh and an engine with boost what like that bloke @Firetruck had in his wagon.

• Like 1