Fuel pump issues - Mk2 Cortina 1600 711M

PHLEX

Small update. Went for a drive yesterday to test out the adjusted float bowl and was again flawless until I had gone a couple KM down the motorway and felt like it was running out of fuel again. I have located a spare tank from a Mk1 and made an adaptor to make a MK2 fuel filler work and will swap that in while I wait for a replacement mk2 tank to become available or get mine repaired. My fear is that if I remove the float and pickup assy I will need a new seal for it which seem like theyre all ex UK so I will order one of those before I open it

Planning to swap mk1 tank in tonight and will report back with my findings

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Did you try driving with fuel cap off/loose?

I haven't yet but I went through my spares and found a filler tube that has a breather on it so when I install the Mk1 tank I will use that one with a tube running outside the car. Noticed another leak in the Mk2 tank yesterday in the seam this time so I will definitely be either buying a replacement or getting something fabricated

Ok so here's where I am at:

Pulled the fuel line off the out side of the pump and ran 25L of fuel into a can through 2 inline filters and chucked this in the daily - long story short I accidentally picked up the 91 pump at mobil and chucked $20 in before realising it was ethanol blend and also 91. Saw light blue and assumed 98 (my bad)

Once the pump started to make noises indicating it was running low I pulled the tank out and the fuel remaining inside was bright orange. I filtered this through an old tshirt into the lawnmower can and even with one layer of cotton it was draining slowly. The residue left behind was an orange sediment

Had a look in the tank through the filler hole with a torch and the filter on the pickup tube is visibly blocked by this orange sediment

Bit of research tells me the sediment may have been caused by valvemaster which I stopped using a few months back after being told to use the moreys upper cyl lube instead

So I installed the Mk1 tank as a temporary fix and have already been inside that one and removed the filter off the end of the pickup since there's a filter between the tank and the pump now anyway. I chucked a few litres in from a clean jerry can and since the back was up in the air fuel started seeping past the seal for the pickup and float. I have ordered an Oring from aussie since I cant find one locally but have just seen @peteretep's post above and might pop to repco at lunch and see if I can get some cork to make a gasket and ill save the seal for the mk2 tank when I get a new one.

Just picked up some 3.2mm cork gasket sheet to see if I can make a gasket from that to stop the leak. if that works ill be very happy and will celebrate by spending the rest of the evening fixing the next car on the list. Hoping its not too thick as that's all I could get today.

@Beaver I have had the ethanol blend cause injector leaks in an old RB20E so have been very weary of it since hence the draining of the tank and chucking it into the daily. I will grab some fresh fuel on the way home because the last thing I need is the mobil gas eating the carb seals. The 95 / 98 at mobil doesn't have ethanol as far as i'm aware so that's usually safe

@peteretep a huge thanks goes to you for the cork suggestion. I grabbed a roll of 3.2mm as that’s all I could find and it has worked perfectly to seal the tank back up.  

I had to make an amendment to my fuel filler design as it was leaking but all seems well for now 

test drive will have to wait till after dinner 

• Like 3

Slack as I didn't update my post.

Test drive went flawless. I ran on just the mechanical pump down to the motorway, gave it death and then came back up my hill in 4th which I have never been able to do. All seems very well.

When I got back there were no leaks so blockage in the tank was definitely the cause.

Also didn't add above when I was draining the tank into a jerry can with a hose straight off the outlet of the pump it took over 40 mins to fill a 20L container so she was damn blocked.

Side note if anybody knows of a good Mk2 tank anywhere please let me know. Mine is rather dented and has holes in the bottom as well as the top so although we could fix it I feel a new tank would be a much safer idea