• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. 

Yay another E21

Can't wait to see photos. 

If you want to pm me I will add you to the e21 nz Facebook page. 

If you want to have a chat I'm happy to talk through where to look for rust, where to buy poly bushes from, brake upgrades etc. 

As I said photos please. I'm keen to see the body kit. 

I'm starting a new thread for my one this weekend. It's a work in progress. 

Hey thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it once I actually get the car here and spend some time going over it so I can ask any other relevant questions at the same time. I’ve been waiting quite a while to get hold of one. I didn’t want to buy a mint one and chop it up. I’ll check out yours once you post it up. Always keen to see what people are planning and doing to them. I’ll get photos as soon as it turns up. I suspect it had a respray and some bodywork done to it about 15-20 years ago. It has a triple letter number plate and appears to have been reregistered in 2003 so it’ll be interesting to find out how much has been hidden under the fresh paint.......... hopefully it’s not a bog factory as I’m considering going as far as stripping it completely and dipping it before painting. 

Should be an awesome car. Makes me want to do something with the E3 in the paddock. 

You might be pushing it trying to get a 10k redline out of a M44 or M42. Do some research into the S42 engine. BMW were making 300hp out to those in the late 90s Touring cars. 

I'm sorry but I don't endorse using a M4x engine of any discription & spending over $10k to get it spinning 10k and the car will be no more valuable than it is with the M20b20 

Buying this will be so much easier & cheeper & would add value almost equal to what you spend.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-1529182040.htm?rsqid=2a1dfb619cb2417d91f75ff0274b21a3

713940268.jpg

• Like 1

but in all seriousness 

fit a m52b28. 

will put out 190hp from the factory some simple mods and it will put out a very reliable 220-230 Hp all day every day. 

the weight of a m52 is about the same a s a m20 so no issues there. 

it may not rev out to 10k but not much will. But it will have stomping volumes of torque and give you the same power to weight  as a e46 m3. 

There is a reason why BMW do not fit the M4# series to performance and why not many people build them for performance. 

• Like 2

If i was to do it again I'd probably swap a F20c Honda motor in.
I spent about 13k on the m10 in my car (engine builds snowball!!) and it smacks out about 190hp at the flywheel.

M50 would probably be best bang for buck as said. But yeah. F20c

A standard m44 wouldn't be too bad, but theyre not super amazing engines as far as horsepower goes. Fuck that m3 motor is money well spent.

• Like 2

In all honesty if I was going to consider the m52 build I’d probably just go to m42 turbo. It’s not just about the overall weight but keeping the weight back behind the front axle as much as possible. I mean it’s a strong possibility that I’ll end up going for something like an s50b32 with matching gearbox, but I’m more about utilising my skills and building up an engine rather than just buying one and doing the conversion. Everyone’s right though, I know spending $10k on an m42 is ridiculous and I don’t really think it’s a realistically viable option if I have to spend that when I can get a s50 for $6500. The ideal engine in my mind would be an e30 m3 engine. But I have no idea if they’re available and what sort of price I’d be paying.

appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming.

More photos please. Looks like it might be a good start from that photo. 

Yeah it has the full bbs kit on it. The side skirts are not best looking. Tell you the truth e21 are very hard to get side skirts look good. 

I'm keen to see the rear end. 

The wheels are just standard e21 13" turbine alloys. 

More photos.