Hey guys, it’s been a while but I’ve finally picked up a new Oldschool project so thought I would start a new project build.

The car in question is a 78 E21 323i. It’s been sitting in a barn since 2015 and the owner pulled it out the other day and had her fire up. I haven’t got any photos yet as the cars being dropped off in the next few weeks.

The good: 323i so disks all around and various upgrades, factory manual, interiors really tidy, minimal visible rust, rego on hold, engine runs and car was in good condition when parked up so hopefully nothing too major to be done to get her back on the road. 

The bad: has a m20b20 carby engine fitted for who knows what reason. Has a small amount of rust. Won’t currently idle. Paint work looks like it’s matte finish but I suspect a good cut and polish will make it gloss again. The left rear quarter has bog coming away behind the black trim, I suspect there’s previous rust repairs coming back there. It shows signs of a very minor engine bay fire at some point. It’s been sitting for 3 years, so I’m not sure what’s going to start showing up when I start working on it.

Other things worth mentioning. I’m pretty sure it has alpina wheels on it but will confirm if they’re genuine when I get it home and pull a wheel off. It has a body kit of some sort, owner reckons it’s a BBS kit. I hate it and will be removing it and selling it as soon as I can along with the alpina wheels. It’s got the old getag 242 4 speed box still which I’ll probably keep and use for nostalgias sake. 

Plans (subject to change) M44 or M42 engine conversion with ITB, link ecu etc. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to have it built yet as I need to talk to a few engine builders but I’m planing to have it done so that it can rev like hell. Ideally I want a 10,000rpm redline and around 180-200rwhp. I’m going to rebuild the suspension with all new bushes and custom specd BC Gold coilovers. Wilwood 4pot front brake conversion with slotted rotors front and rear. I want to respray the car in a factory BMW colour midnight blue metallic. I’m currently pricing a set of genuine work equip 01s in 15x8 all around. I’d like to try and get the car as close to 1000kg as possible without stripping the interior out. At 1130kg factory I think it should be achievable. 

I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into this car and doing something a little bit different. If anyone has knowledge to share regarding anything please feel free to discuss. The following pics are of a e21 with equip 01s and the colour I’d like to use. As soon as I get the car I’ll chuck pics up, promise x

2194D471-9FA2-4AF5-AE2C-F51BC2FABC2A.jpeg

61398E69-FBEC-4AE4-945A-ECF573A8DC9E.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

So I drove her down the road today!!

No brakes..... might need to remove the calipers and unsieze them. 

Clutch works, gearbox works, all lights work, alternator charges, battery holds charge, radiator has antifreeze, engines holding most of its oil. 

Engine has a miss at times but now idles when the engines warm without any input from me.

it has a vibration through the driveline. 

Will spend more time on it over the weekend. 

• 2 months later...

So I get to go and pick this up next weekend. Complete beams 3sge with j160 6 speed gearbox. Have heard her run, should be a good package.

in the end after deciding 3 times which engine I was definitely going to use I settled happily for this option. 

210bhp factory, aftermarket parts at my disposal, proven ability to make 260+hp with a few mods, light weight, short, good gearbox to match and cheap all contributed to my decision. I didn’t really want to go with a non bmw engine but their 4 pots just aren’t up to the task of what I wanted.

i plan to daily this car when its ready, so fuel economy is quite important to me. I’m going to be running a surfab ITB plate with blacktop ITBs, link monsoon ecu, cams, lightweight flywheel and a decent set of extractors. Should make for a very fun car. 

DE2C0F14-2A8A-43E4-AF02-AA2CA082791F.jpeg

• Like 5

She got some new shoes today. 15x6.5 volk cv pros. Will be getting totally refurbished and having Pines lips fitted to make the approx 9”. Will work out exact figures once I have the car at the correct height. Nice to have genuine wheels. A first for me.

D43DF3FE-37D0-45B2-BCA0-F0D9A7A47A54.jpeg

A7952DE1-1ECF-4ECD-873A-4C06F31F742A.jpeg

D0F8EA85-7B33-4902-BF79-34BC3EAC7DA7.jpeg

DE21622B-016A-494D-95E9-F91B059B9DE8.jpeg

B5F7EC6A-DA04-4FD7-8FA9-235172A3894D.jpeg

4A9845EF-D31F-49DF-BAA2-E92244665673.jpeg

• Like 2