Removing anodizing from aluminum

Kimjon

This was far more successful than I thought it would be.

My stem clamp didn't match the colour of the deck. Normally I'd say "close enough" and leave it at that, however the two parts were so closely situated my eye kept getting drawn towards the mismatched blue's.

Its been like this for 2 years until today, I thought fuck it...do something about it! Google revealed oven cleaner as a possible solution, truth be told I was willing it to work as the other methods were more involved.

So here goes nothing:

IMG_20180114_091437.thumb.jpg.b61593cf3aaff9088a2e98e92e9a34a9.jpg

Offending colour mismatch above.

IMG_20180114_091805.thumb.jpg.6dc22e98a05fdae9c8b5be85a8f4a5d1.jpg

Liberally apply oven cleaner, leave for about 5 minutes, then rinse off. Afterwards I scrubbed it with dish washing liquid to further insure it was clean. 100% removed all the colour...holly shit...it fucking worked(!) fully restoring my faith in the internet as a worthwhile place to find information.

IMG_20180114_095630.thumb.jpg.1dec64497ef4f7501656e5787817eb80.jpg

The oven cleaner leaves a natural finish, here it is installed back on the goped after a quick buff on the polishing wheel to shine it up.

Total time start to finish less than 15 minutes...success!!!

• Like 6

Have to use the original recipe oven cleaner. The no smell stuff isn't any good.

Best results - put the stuff in a bag or wrap with plastic and let sit after spraying.

To the haters, I did this to the brake components on my touring bike and they didn't fail

• Like 1

Yep works very well ... do that shit outside it is nasty evil toxic stuff don't leave too long or it etches back into the alloy then starts eating it 

used it lots on rc and bike stuff only ever found one shade of blue it would not shift at all / may have not been anodised /some other coating 

• Like 1

I spent hours sanding it off a pair of motorcycle fork legs, I did read about this but I didn't beleave it.

I was worried with the alloy of the forks it would rot them, the last pair swelled up and looked like rotten wood and fell apart