Require use of parts washer - Waikato/Cambridge

bonkas

Hey Guys,

In preparation of putting my engine back together I need to cleanup some oily dirty parts (Oil Pickup, filter housing, misc parts from front and back of engine and tidy up rocker cover and sump to be vapour blasted., I dont have the resources at home to do this so hoping I can borrow some time using someones parts washer.

Also if anyone knows a good way to cleanup old dirty bolts ready for re-assembly - I have them all in ice cream containers so if there is something I can soak the whole lot in - I am sure I have seen a thread on here somewhere about this and someone cleaned up a flywheel quite nicely just by soaking it?

37 minutes ago, bonkas said:

I am sure I have seen a thread on here somewhere about this and someone cleaned up a flywheel quite nicely just by soaking it?

@Seedy Al put his rusty flywheel in citric acid to remove surface rust. I'm not sure if it still works when the parts are also greasy/oily.

• Like 1

Yeah the citric acid will remove some dirt etc. The key is scrubbing the parts a few times while soaking. But it all comes down to how dirty and oily. 

We actually used to clean up oily stuff with dome alkaline based cleaner sprayed on with a bottle and then water blasting. 

• Like 1

I can vapour blast the parts for you. Happy to.help. 

But I hate cleaning bolts. I can do them in the blaster but it kills my hands holding the bolts. 

Hot water and scrub. Then hit them with a wire wheel.

1 hour ago, 66gt said:

Old dirty bolts get them zinc plated. Come up like brand new and costs stuff all to do it. Take them in covered in crap and pick up looking like new. 

Who do you use? Every one I have spoken to expect them to be pre cleaned.

• Like 1

@Mr Vapour Yep I was considering sending them to you but I have some larger parts - Sump, Rocker Cover, few brackets, pulleys etc. Since they are really grubby I wasnt sure if I needed to get them spotless before any further process or if it's possible to vapour blast in the current state hence asking around if anyone has a parts washer as some bits are just grubby but will not need any further cleaning like oil pickup, few brackets and stuff.. @Mr Vapour how clean do you require the parts to be?

I need to get them cleaned up to accept a new lick of paint before they go on the car

1 hour ago, 66gt said:

Take them in covered in crap and pick up looking like new. 

Thats the bit I like haha as I only have a kitchen sink available to me for cleaning, I dont think the Mr's will be too impressed with that :P

Don't waste to much time scrubbing them. spray them with some degreaser let them soak for a bit then water blast them if you can. It.Just removes the heavy deposits. Keeps the machine cleaner.

I will also need need to know what's being painted.and.what's not. I will do a media change and key those parts you want to paint. The normal finish is to smooth for paint and.you will need to.sand.after. 

Feel free to give me a call if you want.

2 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

I can vapour blast the parts for you. Happy to.help. 

But I hate cleaning bolts. I can do them in the blaster but it kills my hands holding the bolts. 

Hot water and scrub. Then hit them with a wire wheel.

Who do you use? Every one I have spoken to expect them to be pre cleaned.

Otahuhu Chrome Platers Huia Rd

2 hours ago, bonkas said:

Thats the bit I like haha as I only have a kitchen sink available to me for cleaning, I dont think the Mr's will be too impressed with that :P

I’ve got a parts washer here at home. One of those Supercheap ones if it’s of any use. I’m in Mangere Auckland. I don’t use it fuckall as I find kero still does a bloody good job

• 2 weeks later...