Kimjon's not as cool or epic as Muncie's off-road goped Bigfoot scooter thingy

Kimjon

Solved the mystery...coil, coil, coil...mother fucking brand new coil was a dud!

It had me fucked as it (the God dam fucking coil) was a new part, so I was thinking it must be fuel related hesitation...but once my logic circle came full circle, I tried another coil out of desperation...bingo!!!! No more flat spot in the mid range.

Now time to ride this thing like I stole it!

• Like 2

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing is a torque monster! It's not even hitting power band on my driveway (not enough room), just as it's about to scream... I'm thinking about needing to stop! With more room, power band kicks in and front end feels light as it tries to lift.

Flat spot all gone. Could improve tune a little, but pretty much good to go.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I took it for a big ride today. It went well, but you soon find yourself at the rev limit. I have an 80 tooth (from memory) sprocket on the rear, which is awesome for gravel roads and hills...but I could easy go to a 68 tooth for road use t get more speed.

Anyway, it was fun. But I did notice a vibration...on closer inspection, the tyres are falling apart. They're just sack trolley tyres, not proper goped tyres. So the question has to be asked: "what do you do with shitty tyres" ... hmmmm???

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Version V1.0 chain roller shredded itself. Actually it was still functional...but well flogged out.

3062.thumb.jpeg.0bab84e4aa2893a174c06b1b1ac63a02.jpeg

3061.thumb.jpeg.d230d30fc993cc51801bac571c7beb3e.jpeg

It was quite a hard rubber...but not hard enough.

The initial idea was sound, so i reused this solution, but changed materials...with a much harder composition.

3063.thumb.jpeg.e1c8124d340c280c8bb7a52ad9679804.jpeg

3064.thumb.jpeg.81d7e6011eed23236db7647ccbfa9ba2.jpeg

3065.thumb.jpeg.bdc849dda2b05669c2340e42b25a434a.jpeg

Ebay to the rescue again. $2.90 delivered to my door rural delivery included.  Versus paying $10, plus another $10 delivery on trademe ($20 total).

It's holding up really well after riding it around all morning. Success!

• 4 months later...

Lotto ticket time! Just road it down the road and back at full throttle...didn't even notice until I parked it up.

2640.thumb.jpeg.abf39920340e3a3b620e0d5678e10dd5.jpeg

I had on my usual safety PPE of jandals and no helmet. Think I just dodged a bullet by about 30 seconds? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Those still the sack trolley tyres ? They dont like been used to carry anything faster than walking pace have had them let go on sack trolleys with annoying regularity let alone at speed.

Chinese quad bike tyres are $20 each treat it to some new ones.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Those still the sack trolley tyres ? They dont like been used to carry anything faster than walking pace have had them let go on sack trolleys with annoying regularity let alone at speed.

Chinese quad bike tyres are $20 each treat it to some new ones.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered 4 new tyres with tubes online. They arrived today.

2985.thumb.jpeg.84a9b9c66e93ffcb8ada5e02b3d707ca.jpeg

Un-boxing stuff that arrives in the post is a guilty pleasure of mine. Even though I have a pretty good idea what's going to be in the box...it still feels like a little present to myself that I'm unwrapping. 

3007.thumb.jpeg.925d1491e769c2c59d72d7d3b980a472.jpeg

Wheel off... new tyres on...boom!

3008.thumb.jpeg.ccb3f67be477953c744a2ef5a831ab97.jpeg

Mint as!!! These new tyres are so much better in every way possible. Slightly smaller diameter gives better acceleration and they are perfectly round and ride much truer than those shit sack trolley tyres ever did. Success!

3006.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

So I learnt how to do epic wheelies on this thing. Basically go half throttle to just touch on powerband...back off...hit it hard again...and fuck yeah!

Did this all day long until...fail!!! Yip, no rear brake means no way of saving it once you go too far. Managed to fuck myself and the goped up pretty well.

The brake caliper = total right-off, buy another one.

Exhaust = do it all again...fucked!

Front brake disc = badly buckled and miss shaped.

So I bent the disc roughly into shape...then did this to get it pretty good:

Finished it by mounting wheel back on and then rotating it inside the new brake caliper and taping it over little by little until no rubbing sound occurred within a nice tight gap. Mint as bro!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I didn't ride this goped for ages after crashing it so badly, but eventually I forgave it and showed it some love. Approximately 4 weeks after that crash my arm still hurt like fuck! It felt like electric shocks everytime I twisted it (like when using a screwdriver)...so I had it x-rayed and found out it was broken. Yip, 4 weeks trying to carry on as nothing was wrong with a broken arm...equals dick!!!

20200420_100833.thumb.jpg.c1892286eae6457b1e5417d7dc2c3f98.jpg

Anyways, I noticed as the motor got hotter it would lose power. It wasn't enough to stop riding it, but it bugged me that it was brutally fast when cold - but not as good when hot.

So I teared down the motor for a look. Nothing obvious unfortunately. I was hoping to see a witness mark around the head gasket (I don't actually use a head gasket, just some RTV) but nothing. Convinced that the problem was still this area I put a proper gasket in there and removed a shim to balance out my squish band to get the same squish...but move the timing up a fraction.

It did the same thing, started strong...finished poorly. But this time I found my leak. The lower cases. Finally i could see a tiny misty area of fuel/air mix coming out of a small gap in the lower cases. Mystery solved...yay!!!!!!!!

Parts on order now, will fix it when i get them. This is exciting stuff, as it's already fast, but will only be better for it once that leak is plugged.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SOHC said:

have you managed to get those minibike disk brakes to work? mine only slows the bike down a bit

They work amazing on these gopeds and pocket bikes. Locks up hard out!

But terrible on bikes and drift trikes, achieving a slowing down at best, but not able to lockup a wheel and skid.

Not sure why? Mass, wheel diameter? Fucked if I know??? But I suspect its overall weight of what its gotta stop. They must just be on the limit of stopping a combined weight of say 120kg, but not able to effectively stop 150kg?