Tumeke's Wolseley 6/110

Tumeke

Summer boat project:

1967 Wolseley 6/110.

3 Litre twin crab 6 with three on the floor and overdrive. Last driven 2006.

Upon slotting it in the shed the following observations can be reported:

The HT wire to the coil just sits inside the coil hole.  Once you put that back in it works. 

Brakes (1 of?) are binding

Clutch isn't working properly but the pool of what looks like either brake or clutch fluid underneath might explain that.

Has a smashed windscreen and glass everywhere. Came with a replacement screen. Rust in the corners of the screen frame.

Scatterings of rust everywhere. Welder will be busy.

qqu4dorh.bi0.jpg

• Like 6

More rust sorting.

Had a look underneath and it looks pretty solid except for one bit:

whkkynj1.n2f.jpg

The photo is upside down cause i couldn't be arsed lying on my back. Anyways, hit it with a screwdriver and managed to fill a bucket with bits and bobs.

Hit it with the cutting disc to go back to the hard stuff.

kpelss1z.2qg.jpg

A few bits of CAD required to patch. Firstly attached the side stays after cleaning everything out, zinc coating etc.

Folded up these

4csbaqac.vyx.jpg%20mb3szqg3.p5c.jpg4csbaqac.vyx.jpg

I then glued them in and forgot to take photos. Will do when I'm under it again. The top one sits inside the existing U upside down and the bigger one goes over the top of the whole lot.

Also whipped out the clutch slave cylinder:

dqyo52vf.lnt.jpg

Since it's been sitting for 10 years I suspect a bit of rust built up and as it was actuated the rough edges split the rubber. I have ordered an eBay kit for a few bucks which I'll fit with a hone etc.

Did a WOF check on all the lights - fixed a couple with bulbs I had lying round.

Importantly the grill light still works:

y1paahgb.e3p.jpg

Also through a radio in the dash which I forgot to take a pic of. There are some 6" size holes in the doors which need filling. Accepting donations of anything with a grill as I already have some terrible speakers without.

I'm looking forward to BK at 110 mph. (Hawaiian chicken is all I eat from those fullas)

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Other discussion at the OS meat was that I should glue more steel into the back sill and tidy up some of my rushed other stuff, of which I did.

I didn't take enough photos, but here's one early on after making a new bit of patch.

3hp4ff4s.gdo.jpg

Patch 1 in first stages. Just got on with it and didn't photograph progress.

Decided to be brave and took for a WOF check. Failed:

Exhaust hangers missing. - quickly bodged some up out of a bit of leather and metal I had lying about.

Brake cylinder rear appears to be leaking. Further inspection I found it was further diff seals leaking - this time the inner one.

Up to Saeco and grabbed another seal.

wurcwr1z.0hm.jpg

Old vs new. 

gvoetgg1.ar5.jpg

Cleaned up inside brake drum and reassembled with new seal and repacked bearings.

Gearbox mounts were pretty chooched so had to replace them too.

kq0bghgi.tn1.jpg

While I was under here decided to plug some leaks and have a general cleanup too.

q2d3ya3m.5j0.jpg

Old mount vs new.

Also had to fix the windscreen washer pump, of which I forgot to photograph.

Unrelated to WOF, boot smelt like a servo, so pulled out the old pump. I tried a couple of glues to fix an already repaired pump but in the end just put a new one in.

b5cmpcb0.5dh.jpg

looks like I wasn't the first to attempt to fix it.

Finally adjusted the handbrake to work and took it back for re-inspection.

dgb4qm51.mf3.jpg

WOF Level Achieved.

• Like 3