Holden 6 carb woes.

CaMpylobacter

Oh Hi I'm just new here so hopefully posted in the right forum. 

Have a 173 red holden engine. Stock except has an "lpg/towing" cam in it. Ran ok but accelerator pump was zero function so I wanged  a kit in the carb. 

I think it's picked some shit up somewhere as anythingover quarter throttle it just dies.  I pull choke out quarter of an inch and it's mint tho. 

Anyone had this before specifically on these old strommies? Keen to work out what/where is the issue rather than and carb strip and hope to find something.

interwebs hasn't been forthcoming with info sadly and the schematics of this carb baffle me a wee bit so yeah.

Che 

• Like 1

Actually come to thuninif it the carb that's now on there was from a motor that hadn't had the carb clocked 90 degrees to line up to landy linkages, and the motor in mine lies back a wee bit. 

Will blow the jets out and check the level. Bets it's too low as 1/4" of choke changing things really makes slightly.too low float level quite plausible. Esp when landy conversion puts float bowl pointing toward the front of the vehicle rather than to the side.

Anyone got a 202 to 4.1 falcon weber manifold lying around? 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 19:14, Dolan said:

Yeah bowl. Kinda. Wish I went for a 12 port engine now would've been injected for free 

Not all 12 port Holden 6's were injected. The Blue 12 port had a Varajet carb and the Black 12 port was only available with injection as an option. An injected Black is a great start if you want to use a modern ECU, injectors, etc. but in standard form was primitive to say the least.

A bit late to the party but yeah, it will be the float level starving it of fuel and potentially also some detritus floating around in there. Bend the float tab to get the correct float level and you'll be golden. Have done this on plenty of them including all my six cylinder Holdens and @Shakotom's Penile Van at Nats.
Also I have loads of carb and gasket kits for the ol' Stromberg if you need another.

On 27/12/2017 at 23:41, sr2 said:

Not all 12 port Holden 6's were injected. The Blue 12 port had a Varajet carb and the Black 12 port was only available with injection as an option. An injected Black is a great start if you want to use a modern ECU, injectors, etc. but in standard form was primitive to say the least.

Yeah i know :) have a full black Injection setup available to me is all. Pus as KK said ya can get adaptors for weber etc. 

2 hours ago, Threeonthetree said:

A bit late to the party but yeah, it will be the float level starving it of fuel and potentially also some detritus floating around in there. Bend the float tab to get the correct float level and you'll be golden. Have done this on plenty of them including all my six cylinder Holdens and @Shakotom's Penile Van at Nats.
Also I have loads of carb and gasket kits for the ol' Stromberg if you need another.

Che man yeah I have done a kit jist needs another wash out if something was in the lines when I put it bacl on or that float level etc.

got it back at home today so will have a jam cheers!

Float level plus there seems to be shit coming thru from the tank.

I also swapped out the jet/check valve things under the accelerator pump and that other plunger bit from another carb as my current setup had some whack numbers compared to the other two cars and they didn't seem to move very freely. Runs about 90/95% now. Could do with some fresh gas and probably retime it and reset the idle mixture once I have nice new gas. 

Setting the float level correctly i's a pretty interesting process. Def a method I've never used before.   

Yuck! 

Cheers for all the help lads