Doof Doofs

Esky_addict

Oh yep sounds good. Anyone know of a good site to get some info on wiring subs up to an amp properly, I've dragged my old subs and amp out to chuck in hq, I haven't had them in a car for a few years and am not sure I had them wired up correctly, they are rockford P2D4-12 subs and a PRS-d1100m pioneer amp.

I'e just been having a look on the net about the different ways of wiring them 1ohm 4ohm etc

How good is the car battery and how good is this one? They both test up sweet under load? Unless the car battery is stuffed, it sounds like you're 'fixing' a problem that isn't there. If you're overloading the amp, you can have 100 batteries and still have the same problem. Old UPS batteries are probably on their way out to start with, they don't last forever. Just my2c anyway, sounds like you're on a mission to fit that battery lol, so best of luck.

Haven't load tested battery in car but starts 173 and was starting xr6t fine, the ups battery was tested when they were taken out and all the rooted ones were turfed.

Lol yea I was oblivious to the whole impedance thing when i had the stuff in other cars I just thought that the juice couldnt keep up. Problem looks to be semi solved just buy wiring the dual voice coils in series instead of parallel.

On 15/12/2017 at 08:59, Esky_addict said:

And its pretty simple really only need to add another earth to setup. Cheap alternative to a capacitor.

Capacitors are a waste of money, 1 decent battery, good supply cable, good earth. Thats all that is needed.

Its only 2 subs, hardly a high powered system

• Like 1

Recently got back in to sounds again. About 15 years ago scored 4 Orion extreme dual voice coil subs out of a sound off car as part trade on my chopper. They got stuffed in the boot of a Honda civic  which at 3/4 volume would suck the sunroof off it's tracks.

Use big cable and run both positive and negative back to your battery keep your RCA'S as far away from your power as possible and you should be off to a good start. 

My sound off car took 2 runs of  0 gauge cable and 2 alternators to crank properly. I used 2x runs so I didn't have huge snakes under my carpet.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just bought this throwback to the 90s brand new in the box. Now to see if it can run some subs all the instructions are hilarious showing a tapedeck.

Built before amps had crossovers in them it used to have to be plugged into a companion box to get low pass curiously it can run as a 3 channel with this Eq box. As my headunit has a sub-out i wouldn't mind betting it'll work and sound beautiful.

If it cant run them i have something else suitable but not as cool.

Screenshot_20180530-192436_Trade Me.jpg

Also fixing up a slightly newer but compact and gruntly Alpine Flex 4 channel amp which has had a channel pop replacement FETs for that arrived this week doing all four channels to freshen everything up. Got a big 2 channel pioneer on the way as well. Will chop and change see what sounds best.

On 12/14/2017 at 20:18, Esky_addict said:

Oh yep sounds good. Anyone know of a good site to get some info on wiring subs up to an amp properly, I've dragged my old subs and amp out to chuck in hq, I haven't had them in a car for a few years and am not sure I had them wired up correctly, they are rockford P2D4-12 subs and a PRS-d1100m pioneer amp.

I'e just been having a look on the net about the different ways of wiring them 1ohm 4ohm etc

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/wiring-wizard/

• Thanks 1