Lowering Mk2 Cortina

PHLEX

Calling out to cortina gurus! 

I have a 68 mk2 4 Door currently lowered on mk1 super low king springs and 2” blocks and it’s sitting nicely.

I have replaced shocks in the rear and bushes throughout but the issue I’m having is the front shocks are about 40mm too long for the springs to be captive.

i have looked into shortening some brand new replacement shocks but the shaft will end up shorter than the body and the engineer I spoke to is not willing to go that low because they may leak if they get compressed too far.

ive heard of others using a corolla or Camry shock with slight modification,  google has failed to tell me what this shock is! 

Can anyone one help with a recommendation of something around 40mm shorter? Be great to get this car legal again for summer cruising 

just don’t push the shock in too far? I’ve had shocks (mk2 Cortina as well) shortened enough so that this was a risk as well but once it’s all Together I’m pretty sure it’s physiaclly impossible for it to compress to much (I.e the spring will bind first)

I haven't pulled the shock apart yet as it will immobilise the car which is currently movable when I need to. I have a set of inserts sitting on the pickup shelf waiting for me at repco and they aren't overly expensive. I tried calling autolign in wellington a while back hoping the guys there would have some ideas but they recommended I bought brand new shocks and went to Howat engineering to get them shortened.

@Beaver I hadn't actually considered the spring would be taller even when compressed completely that it would be impossible for the shock to go inside itself. I think ill stick to this idea and shorten some brand new shock inserts down as its probably less work than making adaptors to make other inserts work. Thanks!

Do autolign not shorten them anymore themselves? Ive had a couple of sets done through them, (both in CHCH an wellington). Pretty sure they just send them up to Auckland. Alternatively, our resident expert Manu @Steelies has done this for me in the past and may be interested in offering his services.