antz '66 AMC Rambler Classic 770

antz

• 5 weeks later...

Just got the replacement dizzy - the old one had multiple issues so it made sense to just replace the entire thing. Hoping to chuck it in this weekend and get it running, fingers crossed will be able to take it for a cruise on Sunday.

2018-01-10_18.23.50.jpg

• Like 3

New Dizzy, new coil and new leads. Got someone who knows what they're doing to actually tune it properly for once instead of me learning as I go. WOF is due in March, and I don't think it'll pass easy, so I just want to drive it until I'll inevitably have to take it off the road to fix up the rust and whatever else they'll find.

But so far it runs really well. Taking it for a decent spin now, hopefully won't be posting a pic of it on the back of a towtruck later this arvo.

2018-01-14_12.28.59.jpg

• Like 2

Took it up the road to test it out, didnt go far, seems to go pretty good. Might venture out a bit further next weekend.

But man it sits high, gonna have to sort out those munted AMC spring clamps, pull those springs out sit it on it's ass. It's 187mm at the lowest point from body to the ground. So that gives me 3 inches easy and it still wont hit 100m.

2018-01-14_13.33.36.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Took it to Kumeu last week - went all good, temperature didnt go above half.

Today got these whitewalls sorted, cheap as at STA parts, seem very decent for the price. Managed to drop the profile from 75 to 65, and width from 185 to 175, which is what I was after so pretty happy. Plus I've never had a matching spare in any of my cars, so decided to do it this time.

2018-01-24_13.03.15.jpg

2018-01-24_14.30.26.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to making up hooks for the trunnion suspension to take the front springs out. Used m10 threaded rods, and 3mm mild steel plate to make hooks. Feels pretty solid but what I'll do is once I jack it up, and release the spring saddles on these hooks, I'll give them a bit of a bash around while it's still inside there and can't go anywhere, so if anything fails itll be still in there.

Will definitely be chaining the hell out of it as well while winding it down to release the spring tension, this is gonna be pretty dodgy. Cant wait to get these springs out of there.

2018-02-04_17.04.53.jpg

Yeah nah, have had a look at some posts of people snapping spring compressors, I think I'm gonna scrap this shit, and redo it with something substantially thicker, and won't weld to rods, instead will weld to the tube that's secured with nuts. Will also use 5mm plate to make hooks.

Its cheap enough, I'm not in any hurry, better do this properly.

Ok got new M14 rods, also looked online and seems one guy that makes these hooks uses countersunk screws as hooks, which makes perfect sense since they're the right shape.

The bottom hooks I'm making from two 2.5mm corner pieces, this doubles the amount of weld that holds it in place. It's definitely looking a lot stronger than the first attempt anyway.

Here are the new rods above the old ones for comparison:

2018-02-05_18.55.32.jpg

• Like 1