Removing front springs - 60s suspension

antz

Never thought I'd ever be asking this question but this got me stuck. Ive never had to remove front springs which aren't mcpheresons struts, normally strut comes out, spring compressors, losen the shocks, all done. But not here, I jacked up the hub, took the shock out, the whole thing dropped quite a bit lower, tried compressing the spring as much as I could, but its still tight as in there.

I dont want to cut it as I need to size it up to something common that matches this so I can lower it. But no idea how to actually compress the spring enough to pull it out.

Has anyone come across this before? Any help would be appreciated.

2017-12-10_11.20.05.jpg

Attempted spring compressing, its not happening.

2017-12-10_10.48.04.jpg

• Confused 1

When I remove the shock, the bit (no idea what it is, its in the last pic - like a wishbone but its made of 2 separate sections) - it sits on the chassis rail and prevents the whole thing dropping further down.

I suspect I may need to undo the steering control arm  and then perhaps try and undo this wishbone? 

Looks like you need this tool

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/jacobspringtool.htm

Then jack up the opposite corner to compress the spring and hook the took into the holes on the spring cuts. This keeps the spring compressed so it will come free when you jack the front up.

Don't go dismantling the suspension with the spring still loaded :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Looks like you need this tool

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/jacobspringtool.htm

Then jack up the opposite corner to compress the spring and hook the took into the holes on the spring cuts. This keeps the spring compressed so it will come free when you jack the front up.

Don't go dismantling the suspension with the spring still loaded :)

Mint thanks man. Yeah reading over that AMC forum reply seems like this might be the only way to do it properly (and safely).

8 hours ago, 66gt said:

That's got fuck up written all over it if you don't remove it the correct way. Can see a spring going into orbit.

Yup I figured the same so have chucked it all back how it was for now.

Gonna get that tool either shipped over or will make one, and will follow their directions on how to take it out safely.